Please look! Shell-less eggs and rubbery "shell" chunks.

Naliez

Songster
May 7, 2015
I posted a thread yesterday and got no responses. She's still laying shell-less eggs, with broken pieces of rubbery "shell". I really need help here. I can get antibiotics or whatever I need at TSC, but I need to know what I'm dealing with. I still can't find a chicken vet, and now that it's the weekend I'm even more SOL. Please help Peck!

I would give her some calcium in a calcium tablet or Tums orally. ?Then make sure she has crushed oystershell in addition to her layer feed daily. My chickens prefer to eat crushed egg shells fed back. Egg yolk peritonits or internal layers tend to start out laying eggs that are thin shelled or shell-less. It can be common in a new layer, though, so I would make sure that she gets calcium.

I would give her some calcium in a calcium tablet or Tums orally. ?Then make sure she has crushed oystershell in addition to her layer feed daily. My chickens prefer to eat crushed egg shells fed back. Egg yolk peritonits or internal layers tend to start out laying eggs that are thin shelled or shell-less. It can be common in a new layer, though, so I would make sure that she gets calcium.
x2

Thank you. Her first egg was perfect. Then, she layed 4 of these in 2 days. She has free access to oyster shell, but I'll try the egg shell too. How do I know if it turns into an infection or something more serious than just a new layer working out kinks? She was bought by heritage breeders as a day old.

Thank you, @Eggcessive
I'm a bit more at ease now. I worry about our Peck. She is very special to us. I think I spend too much time in the "emergencies/diseases and injuries" section. It's worse than WebMD! Lol

I will definitely try that. They have free choice of oyster shell, but they're not interested in it and the pieces looked HUGE! Today, I also crushed up the egg shell and mixed it in with their scrambled eggs and yogurt. That seemed to go pretty fast, but I have 3 picky sons I already feed 12x's a day, I really don't want to be cooking for chickens too! Ha ha ha!

Yep..so i buy salt free frozen peas..thaw under warm water...leave damp grind up oyster shell in coffee grinder now toss the wet peas in dust and you have protein and your calcium..and they love it.. blue berries work well too.

Back
Top Bottom