First time chick mom, sudden change

Maatawry

Chirping
Aug 20, 2015
Hello all, new to the forum although I've been reading around in here for weeks. I was recently gifted an unexpected newborn chick. I've followed the guidelines for heat and food. Baby just hit two weeks a few days ago and is on track for feather growth and activity. Very social and definitely happy being a spoiled pet. I love this chick very much, but don't have any experience or any other chickens to compare development to.

Tonight, she suddenly seemed to have problems fully standing and walking. This was literally out of nowhere. I thought maybe she was just tired. But hours later she still doesn't stand up straight completely. When I set her down to check, she seemed misbalanced. She stumbled backwards a bit, but doesn't seem to have any stronger indications of a vitamin deficiency. She almost appears hunched down, as if her body was suddenly too heavy.

She is indoor only, eats medicated feed and drinks chick boost water. She is otherwise vocal, eating and drinking normally. Although she does seem tired and is sleeping on my chest right now (wrapped up snug and warm)

Help??

Last edited:
I just gave her some eggs, thanks. I'm starting to fear that maybe I've been giving her far too much electrolyte/probiotic water, as it has been her sole water for about a week. And that perhaps this is some kind of overdose. I just dumped the electrolyte and gave her plain water. Now I'm just going to wait.

Last edited:
I just gave her some eggs, thanks. I'm starting to fear that maybe I've been giving her far too much electrolyte/probiotic water, as it has been her sole water for about a week. And that perhaps this is some kind of overdose. I just dumped the electrolyte and gave her plain water. Now I'm just going to wait.
I wouldn't worry about the poultry water additives- a lot of folks do give those (I have never given them though) so I would not think it was that.

A lot of people post on BYC regarding vitamin deficiencies even though they have commercial chick feed they are giving. So it helps chickens sometimes to supplement with other vitamins or foods like eggs which are high in vitamins if you suspect a vit deficiency.

Hopefully your chick will be back to normal soon!

Thank you. Not much of a change yet. A little more active but still not as on target with her flight landings.

I'm going to pick up some more supplies today for my emergency chicken bucket. I'll add vitamins to the list.

Back
Top Bottom