screaming chicken?

LilBeauPeep

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
Hemet, CA. USA
I originally bought what I believed was 6 hens. Within a few weeks we noticed one having pronounced features. .like a very distinct comb and Lil baby crowing. Unfortunately, we lost our lil baby roo to an attack :( one of the hens was injured and had to be quarantined but has since been reintroduced and is doing just fine :) anyways, to my point. .. she now SCREAMS. ..like. ..I was laying in bed one afternoon watching a movie, and over my movie I heard SCREAMING and bolted outside assuming my hens were being attacked! !! But she was laying in the brooding box just screaming. I picked her up, checked get for injury, gave her snacks and added ice to their water and she calmed down.
She has much lovelier feathers than the others; other than that, no distinct reason to make me guess she is a he. .. they hatched 4/14/15... is there a chance I have a roo yet? Or maybe she's traumatized from the attack? She seems to do this screaming several times a day.

Last edited:
In my limited experience, some of them are just screamers. I would have no problem with "relocating" one of my hens if she kept this up continuously. But it has been intermittent so far.
Word of warning... do NOT respond to the screaming by visiting them and handing them treats. If they begin to think that screaming leads to treats, all hope is lost.

My guess is that she's singing the egg song. Is she laying yet? Is she squatting when you pass your hand over her back? Is she spending a lot of time going in and out of the nest boxes? Do a google search for the egg song, and I bet you'll find something that sounds like her lovely opera song. Some pullets sing when they are getting ready to lay an egg, after they have laid an egg, when someone else has laid an egg, and sometimes when they are thinking about an egg. Often pullets just coming into lay are drama queens, and settle down a bit after they get their routine figured out.

Last edited:
My guess is that she's singing the egg song. Is she laying yet? Is she squatting when you pass your hand over her back? Is she spending a lot of time going in and out of the nest boxes? Do a google search for the egg song, and I bet you'll find something that sounds like her lovely opera song. Some pullets sing when they are getting ready to lay an egg, after they have laid an egg, when someone else has laid an egg, and sometimes when they are thinking about an egg. Often pullets just coming into lay are drama queens, and settle down a bit after they get their routine figured out.
Ain't that the truth!
roll.png

I do have one that has remained a drama queen for the last 4+ years. Oh and if they hear the back door they all start up hollering for me to come over there. Once I walk into the run they shut up but until then it is all holler and complain. I do not have treats in my hands and simply enter the run for a couple minutes then I can get on with whatever I set out to do in the first place. Man do they ever have me trained.
wink.png

x2

Back
Top Bottom