Chick has runny poo... kind of brownish orange, does not stink

MizPriz

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 23, 2015
My chicks are about 5 days old. All are acting normal, but one is having runny poop. She is active and doesn't act any different, and if I hadn't seen her do the poo, I couldn't have guessed which one was doing the runny. Is this normal? I didn't see anything like it on poop chart. It's kind of brownish orange and does not stink
I've seen a couple of poos like this, one this morning & one just now.
Thank in advance for any help or advice :)

I may have found an answer... It's not a pic, but it describes it pretty accurately.

Originally Posted by epeloquin

It is normal for chickens to have runny poop quite regularly. Read the following...

Waste (faeces)
The remainder of the material consisting of waste and undigested food are mixed with the urine in the cloaca and eliminated from the body as faeces. The appearance of the faeces varies considerably, but typically is a rounded, brown to grey mass topped with a cap of white uric acid from the kidneys. The contents of the caeca are also discharged periodically as discrete masses of brown, glutinous material.

It sounds like you might be describing the discharge from the caeca. This is where more complex compounds are broken down.

http://www.poultryhub.org/anatomy-and-physiology/digestive-system/

It looks like normal ceacal poop to me. If this chick also deposits dry turds, which should account for most of the poop, it's totally normal.

Back
Top Bottom