Anticipating for Predators Based on Location?

txkittykat

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
Arlington, TX
Designing our chicken run and husband wants to use chain link (we have a ton of it) for the top/roof/ceiling. Is there anything in North Central Texas (Arlington, TX) that would be able to get through that? We'll have hardware cloth on the sides and in the ground. I was just worried something could get through the chainlink?

Chainlink won't keep rats or weasels out, but it's great for the bigger critters. As a daytime run, it's super, as long as your birds are locked in a safe coop every night. Mary

If you go with chain link, I would still recommend lining the bottom 2-3' with hardware cloth (if you are using it as a wall). Our German Shepherd managed to bite through her chain link fence while we were on vacation a couple weeks ago and a friend was taking care of her. She worked at it until all the bottom links were loose and then slid under. It was a total shocker to us but also served as a good example to us that chain link is not as secure as we thought it was. I figure if she could get out with chain link, others will be able to get in.

I know you are planning on using it as a roof, so I am not sure how well my situation applies, but if something can get on top, it may be able to still get in if it works at it long enough. Do you have cougar, fox or coyote in your area? I think they could do some damage to a fence. And as Folly's Place mentioned, you may also have to worry about rats and weasels fitting through the spaces in the fence.

I think using hardware for the sides of a run and chain link for the top is a good idea. I can't think of any predator you are likely to run into that it won't work on as long as the holes in the hardware cloth are small enough.

The side walls would be hardware cloth, 1/2". I was just afraid something (raccoon?) would scale the walls and somehow get through the bigger openings in the chain link..

Raccoons or coyotes can't fit through it, but make sure that the edges are secured, so the can't climb up, then squeeze through a gap between the hardware cloth, and chain link ...

Chain link kennel panels(not sure if that's what you're using) have gaps at edges and the curves at corners that coons could get thru.
Texas makes me think snakes too.

Back
Top Bottom