Something's wrong with one of the babies

Nickles

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2015
Florida
One of my little surprise chicks isn't doing so well. It's holding a leg funny, I'm not sure what could have possibly happened to her, she's been in a mostly empty box with the other chick. She keeps flopping over on her side and sticking one leg out kind of shaking it around. After noticing her acting weird I've been keeping a really close eye on them, the other one's eating and drinking fine. This one will take a nibble or two if I hold some out for her, but that's it. Not drinking at all. Not wanting to sit, she's just standing there with her eyes closed, or hobbling around really strangely, or flopping over like I explained. She's also kind of panting, I don't know what the range of normal is but she's breathing MUCH heavier than the other one.

I don't know what to do!

I'm very sorry you have a sick little chick, but sometimes one fails to thrive. I'm sorry to have to tell you that there isn't much that can be done for it. It most likely will die in a few days. Occasionally a chick hatches that doesn't have it's inside equipment fully functional. It's a genetic issue.

As it continues to get worse, you might consider euthanizing it and sparing it further suffering.

Back
Top Bottom