In a few weeks..

Kino

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Ash, my blue cochin had gotten broody around 1+ week ago. We let her sit on 11 eggs, but 6 cracked because our annoying Indian Runner mix duck, Pebbles, kept kicking her out and stealing her spot, then whenever I or someone else entered the coop she would accidentally squish the eggs and flee. Eventually though, Pebbles relocated to the box beside Ash, regardless if there were eggs in there or not. We're keeping our fingers crossed for those last 5 eggs!
A few will be mixes, and maybe 1 or 2 full cochins. Our oldest flock, which contains Ash, has 1 rooster who is also a blue cochin. Some of our oldest flock hens are different/mixed breeds, but none of the eggs have the mixes, but either way a few will be mixed. I'm extremely excited!
This is an image of Ash (and that annoying rascal duck!) sitting on the eggs. Ash is sitting on the 5 chicken eggs, of course, and Pebbles is on 3 duck eggs and 2 chicken eggs, which we are not going to let her hatch. Since we collect eggs every night, she'll have to say 'bye-bye' to the eggs, until tomorrow. Haha.

I use large (and deep) plastic basins as nests. When i want a hen to sit, i move the nest (basin) to a higher shelf (I use a shed as a coop) out of the way. It works fine as the usual spot for the nests remain intact and the mother hen can sit on her eggs without being hassled.

I use large (and deep) plastic basins as nests. When i want a hen to sit, i move the nest (basin) to a higher shelf (I use a shed as a coop) out of the way. It works fine as the usual spot for the nests remain intact and the mother hen can sit on her eggs without being hassled.

Yeah, she started getting broody late this year, so we aren't gonna do any maintence to the coop until next year. We're planning on making the box more efficient for her, so no one can invade her and her eggs (it might be a different brooder, a more feisty one next year). Thanks anyways, that sounds pretty useful!

Back
Top Bottom