My AWESOME Rooster

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I just want to share a story of my amazing rooster.

This is my first year raising chickens. I got 8 pullets to start out with. After reading about the benefits of a rooster, I decided I wanted one to protect my girls when I started letting them free range. I talked to the girl I got my original 8 from (we kept in touch) and she told me I could have her favorite rooster because even though he was a good boy, she had two others that picked on him and he would be happier being the only rooster. I gladly took him and another pullet from her. Daryl has only been here for a few weeks. He was accepted right away by my girls.

Anyways, today was the first day I decided to let them free range. I was out with them for about 4 hours, just watching them. Then I decided to go inside. As I was sitting in my kitchen, I heard Daryl make a very loud noise that almost sounded like the cooing of a different bird. It wasn't like anything I had heard from him before. I didn't think much of it and kept doing what I was doing. When he didn't stop making the noise, I went outside. I saw a large bird that I think was a hawk perching on the top of the run fencing, looking in. It flew away as I approached. I ran into the coop and there was Daryl and all 9 of my pullets! He is amazing. Not only is he a good protector, but he's also friendly and lets me pick him up and handle him with no problems. I love my rooster!!

Thank you! He has officially earned his right in the flock
smile.png

Way to go, Daryl! Our Gold Laced Cochin Bantam roo, so appropriately named "Roo", is a little too aggressive for me but he is an excellent protector which is why he's still with us. Roosters aren't for everyone, but they are definitely awesome when they perform their duties so well!

Back
Top Bottom