Keeping ducks and chickens together

Roosterboy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
How do you keep chickens and ducks together? I mean do you need two separate coops and two separate feeds? What about raising them from hatchlings? Can i raise them together? What is the best pet duck? I wanted an Indian Runner, are these friendly?

Well as far as pet duck, I'm no help there! Mine all live on the pond, and are pretty wild until they see me coming with the blue Maxwell House can full of food!! They are totally different birds then!

You can keep the ducks and chickens in the same coop/run, but the ducks are very messy! They will try to bathe in any water they can find! This is why a lot of people seperate them. Plus the ducks don't usually go into the coops. Most I have heard say they prefer to stay outside. Plus since some diseases that chickens get, like cocci, are more prevalent in wet soil, it would probably be a good idea for the ducks to have thier own pen. A lean-to type shelter is really all they would need, to get out of the elements.

As far as the feed goes, it's ok to feed them together, provided the feed is NOT medicated!! Medicated feed will kill a duck, I have heard. Something about them eating it too fast and OD'ing on the meds.

Last edited:
well, i bought a baby rouen duck at the same time as my last bunch of chicks, and now she thinks shes a chicken! we tried to put her in water and she just floats there, looking at us like "what am i going to do now??" and threw a huge fit until we got her out..and my rooster is in love with her too. they all sleep together and seem to get along for the most part.

I keep my 9 chickens and 2 ducks together, in the same coop and run. The chickens are the first to go into the coop at night, but both of my ducks also put themselves away each evening. The ducks are a bit messier... which only means I completely change out the litter in their area of the coop about twice a week. Mostly, just because it gets wet. My ducks do have access to food and water during the night in the coop, and yes, they love to play in their water.

I had originally planned on building a separate duck house/run, but have decided against it as everyone does so well together. LOL, that way I can use the large, covered, dog run that I bought for the ducks for some turkeys in the spring!

I do keep the duck "pond" (a large, shallow livestock trough) outside of the run. When I open the run door, the ducks waddle out to the trough, swim a bit, then head back to the run on their own. Good little duckies that they are!

I love watching the antics of the chickens and ducks together... twice the fun!

Yes, you can keep them all together. I don't keep my chickens and ducks together because they are all different ages and I didn't want the ducklings getting picked on.

There is a chance they won't get along. Some ducks will run up behind the chickens and pull on their tail feathers and sometimes the chickens will peck the ducks. When the drakes reach sexual maturity they will try to mate with hens as well as female ducks.

And yes, ducks are soooo messy...but so worth it.

I keep mine separate because the ducks muddy any water available. And what they don't muddy they use up and then the chickens have no water to drink. Chickens need water so that their crops don't get impacted.

My ducks and chickens SORTA get along. The duck run butts up to the chicken run and sometimes during the day, they all huddle together on each side of the fence for a nap.

Still... I find it too messy to keep them together. Why add more work for myself?

I also have a question! I currently own three Silkie Bantams. I have two hens and one rooster. I have silkie eggs that I bought online that are being delivered and I'm buying an incubator too!!! Now I'm looking at getting ducks. Based on what everyone is saying it's not predictable whether they'll get along or not, but I'm looking at getting Mallards and I was wondering whether they're friendly or not in general, and if not what breed of ducks are mostly friendly? Thanks for your help!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Millards are flying birds & will probably fly away one day if you let them run free. I have 9 of them & while they are calm they are touch me nots & can be a pane at night to put up. I had to pen mine up because they keep trying to leave.

Ideally they should be housed separately but its fine to let them free range together if you are able to do that or if you have a large pen where they can get away from each other.
Ducklings & chicks have different feed requirements and ducks are VERY wet and messy.
My geese, ducks & chickens all harmoniously (most of the time anyway) free range together but have separate quarters at night.

Back
Top Bottom