Male or Female BSL?

Exotica

C'est La Vie
Aug 16, 2015
Baldwin Park, California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

My chick is about 5 weeks now. Any guesses whether she is a he or not?
She's the only one I am unsure about because her tail feathers are more pointy while the others have round one's. Once again, she's a Black Sex Link!

Last edited:
Definitely a pullet. Black Sex-links are easy to sex since they're an autosexing hybrid. The males are one color, while the females are a different color. Male Black Sex-links are barred like a barred Rock. The females are colored just like your pullet, with a mostly black body and reddish breast streaking.

Definitely a pullet. Black Sex-links are easy to sex since they're an autosexing hybrid. The males are one color, while the females are a different color. Male Black Sex-links are barred like a barred Rock. The females are colored just like your pullet, with a mostly black body and reddish breast streaking.

Ooh!! I did not know that! Forgive me for not knowing something so trivial. I'm new and originally they were supposed to br Australorps but the feed store guy messed up. Love them anyway! Relieved that she is indeed a she!

Agreed; Black Sex Links are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year, with double yolks not being uncommon. You will get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:)

BSL pullets can have red "bleed through" pretty much anywhere on their body, but typically it is the hackles and chest.

One of mine had it throughout her body, even some on the back.

Occasionally you'll get one that has hardly any red...you have to look hard for it.

I think I am seeing some red streaking coming in on the chest which would be typical of BSL.

BSL chicks should be all black, but I've had some with white on chest or underbelly.

The main thing is you don't want a black chick with a white head dot as that is the male BSL showing the barring to come.

So right now, with knowledge that the feed store messed up (and can be pretty clueless as the actual breed they are selling), I can believe that you have a BSL pullet from the photo.

LofMc

I agree and wow, does she have beautiful eyes :love

BSL pullets can have red "bleed through" pretty much anywhere on their body, but typically it is the hackles and chest.

Occasionally you'll get one that has hardly any red...you have to look hard for it.

I think I am seeing some red streaking coming in on the chest which would be typical of BSL.

BSL chicks should be all black, but I've had some with white on chest or underbelly.

The main thing is you don't want a black chick with a white head dot as that is the male BSL showing the barring to come.

So right now, with knowledge that the feed store messed up (and can be pretty clueless as the actual breed they are selling), I can believe that you have a BSL pullet from the photo.

LofMc

Agreed. I see what looks like a little reddish or copper coloring bleeding through on the chest and neck as well which is typical of BSLs, not Black Australorps. And I've had some BSLs that had only a very little copper coloring around the neck area (my BSL on the left in the pic below is a good example).

Agreed; Black Sex Links are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year, with double yolks not being uncommon. You will get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:)
Yay!! She is such a sweet girl! Eggs are always a plus (;

My BSL pullets have either red or gold on the siides of their heads and no white at throat.
On her neck and a bit of her chest, she has brownish feathers. I apologize if I didn't capture it clearly. I took a picture of my other girls and everyone said they were BSL's. I got her the same time from the same place so I'm guessing that as well!!

LofMc
As long as she is a pullet, I'm happy! I see that you've been following my story hehe. THANK YOU! <3

I agree and wow, does she have beautiful eyes
love.gif
Thank you!! Weird but all my BSL girls have the same eye color!! I hope it does not fade.. but I'm guessing it will. ):

Agreed. I see what looks like a little reddish or copper coloring bleeding through on the chest and neck as well which is typical of BSLs, not Black Australorps. And I've had some BSLs that had only a very little copper coloring around the neck area (my BSL on the left in the pic below is a good example).
What beautiful girls!! Yes, she does have some reddish feathers but only on her neck!!

Thank you everyone for your replies! You guys keep me coming back!<3 Where have you been my whole life?! Wish I was turned on to chickens and this wonderful community earlier!!

Back
Top Bottom