Predator proof snap?

Sherol

Songster
Apr 7, 2015
San Antonio Tx
The chicks are three weeks old and I am almost done with the coop. Hope to get them out in a few weeks. Since I have a puppy and have been having to go outside every few hours during the night I have noticed I have a resident skunk that comes almost every night to the neighbors yard. I also have some sort of banded snake and I saw a fox run up the drive and out across the back or the property when I came home the other night. I am sure there are coons out here too. I got latches for the coop doors where you can put a snap thru the ring and got to wondering what type of snap would be best to put through there to keep the critters out. I was considering the attached and decided to ask for some feedback so I don't get surprised with a break in.

Can coons work any snap better than any others?

I have a simple hook n eye latch on my coop and nothing has climbed up n opened the door in 5yrs. Makes it easy 4 me to lock up at nite without a lite.
Beeners are fairly easy to open n latch n shouldn't b hard 2 bust open if it's iced up in winter.
The double clip in pic 2 can b a bear to open sometimes. Keep it lubed with wd40 if u go that way.
The dog latch in pic 3 looks to b as easy as a beener but sturdier.

Coons can work just about any non locking closure, get a cheap combination or key lock if you want to coon proof it...

I just got back from vacation, I have always said coons can even turn door handles and open doors, many have argued the contrary... Well we rented a yurt on our vacation and the first night there, we had two coons turning the door handle and pushing the door trying to get in, the door handle did not have a lock so it turned freely, the deadbolt was all the prevented them from entry...

Last edited:
A racoon can open all of those snaps with ease......
That was kinda my concern.. they are a bit too clever and will work a problem till solved.

So is it best to have a combination or keyed lock?

edited.. read post above and think the combination lock will do the trick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom