2.5 week old chickies and a 3.5 week old EE, any sex guesses?!

Mamafug8

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
JC, Oregon
Hello! I'm over here fearing the worst, that we've got 6 or 7 roosters lol. The mama came from a farm where there were a few other broody hens sitting on eggs that all hatched over a few days, I know that 4 of the 6 babies she has are definitely hers.. The other two I'm not so sure but she claimed them :) the other mamas were a lavender Orpington and an all white breed. Mama of the 4 is a dark Orpington.
Chick 1!)

The last is the EE (who has already made it through coccidiosis when we got them and an attack but is thriving now!) who came as a pair and unfortunately the other didn't make it :( was my first chick loss and so sad :(
I appreciate any sex/breed (mixed breeds basically?) guesses and I understand they're just guesses, but thank you!!

The first doesn't look like the only EE. Numbers 1, 5, and 7 all look like EEs. And 2 and 4 (maybe 6) look barred, which means the father is probably a barred rock? (I'm guessing) idk what #3 is, its hard to tell and it's way too early to tell genders

All the black ones have some light barring so I guessed dad was a BR too!! A compel are more brown, they're all so different lol! So pretty though! Thank you! So what constitutes an EE?? The top EE has gorgeous olive green legs and feet!

There were a couple different Roos I saw! One was gorgeous and looked like a splash? They guessed the dad was the barred rock which I think was for atleast her 4. Not the others though? Lol there were chickens everywhere it was a chickie paradise
1f60d.png
1f602.png

I agree that they are too young to start sexing accurately, but if you see any difference in leg thickness (roos tend to have thicker legs) it may give you an idea. Having said that, it may be too early to detect any difference! I seem to spend the first few weeks of my hatches trying to work out genders - a bit pointless really, but entertaining all the same.

There were a couple different Roos I saw! One was gorgeous and looked like a splash? They guessed the dad was the barred rock which I think was for atleast her 4. Not the others though? Lol there were chickens everywhere it was a chickie paradise
1f60d.png
1f602.png

Lol, I've been to a few of these "Chickie paradises"
1f602.png
. Its quite fun to just sit around and observe them. I'd probably have one if I didn't live in the city :p. It will probably be easier to tell their genes once they get older... And usually that pattern of brown makes for some interesting colored adults and they should change a bit once they feather in. Pure-breeds are usually prettier and easier to identify but I think mix breeds are just fun :p

Thanks!! I'll check back in when they're a little older then lol I just have no patience
1f602.png
it looks like we're around the same area so you understand my concern (or my neighbors concern) for roosters haha. I don't think we're allowed them since we aren't far enough outside city limits lol. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom