Need help with chicks

tatt2dchk1

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Alabama
Rookie mistake. ... didn't separate broody hen from flock until it was too late, so chicks hatched out at different times. I brought the first 5 in the house to the brooder because they fell out of the nesting box and she wouldn't get out due to still sitting on eggs... I then separated my coop off into 2 sections and put the momma with the remaining eggs alone (the babies are now on my screened porch in a play pen at 4 weeks old) the mom hatched out only 1 more egg (that baby is 3 weeks old now)and they have been in their separate coop alone. ...my question is, now that it's time to put these month old babies outside will they be okay with the momma and her lone little baby or will she kill then to protect it? Momma hen acts like she wants in the big coop with the rest of the flock the past couple days but I didn't want to split her and the baby up. ... there's not enough room in my coop for a 3rd section so what should I do? I should also mention that the flock free ranges in the day time do the door to the big coop is open except at night. .... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You could try putting the 4 week olds in with mama and her one chick...might not go well.

If that does not work, next step would be to try and let mama take the one chick into the flock with her.
She should protect it and integrate it into the flock for you.
Then you could put the older chicks in the sectioned area until they are old enough to integrate into the flock.

If mama won't protect the one chick within the flock, then I'd leave the one chick in the sectioned area,
and (carefully) add the older chicks in with it until they are all big enough too integrate into the flock.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom