Day old hatchery chicks one peeping loudly not acting right?

AshleyBickle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
Traverse City, MI
I have three day old chicks I had mailed to me from a hatchery as I'm only aloud 3 chickens where I live, 2 salmon faverolles and one lavender Orpington. The Orpington and one faverolle are acting fine, eating, running about, napping. Doing chick things. The 3rd stands alone most of the time and peeps loudly, ear piercing like. Sometimes scurrys about like normal then goes back out on its own and starts peeping. The other two act completely normal, so it can't be the heat or they all would be upset right? When we first received them yesterday the one wouldn't drink or eat so I was sure we were going to lose it. Now it eats and drinks, not like the others but she is doing it. So what's the issue? I'm lost!

It doesn't feel well. I would dip its beak in the water every so often and make sure your temps are good (per the recommended 90-95 degrees the first week and decrease by 5 degrees per week until 6 weeks of age when fully feathered). Make sure they have room to get away from the heat.

It is just fine to have the temp. under the light warmer than that and in fact that is what I do, and have room for them to move well away and get to just the perfect spot for their perfect temp. in the brooder.

You see, some people have very small brooders and the temp should be exact and others brood in large sheds or other large spaces and the temp under the light may be higher than recommended but they are able to move away.

Sometimes they are really affected by the shipping- sounds like that is what is the problem but I am guessing. I hope he/she feels better soon! The cheeping is often heard when cold or when sick with coccidiosis but yours are too new for that (day olds are too young for it).

There is a sugar water recipe on Mcmurray's faq- chick care tips page if you need it, for stressed chicks. But I would only use it for a day or so.

Last edited:
I have the brooder light at 98' right now.. Sometimes the chicks are laying right under it and sometimes they are on the outer edge of it. The third little chick just isn't doing well, I dip her beek in the water every few hours trying to perk her up. She stand alone head completely drooped over and just peeps super loudly. The other two are running around, eating, doing normal chick things and this one just isn't the same. Do I cull or try to wait it out? I've had them 2 1/2 days now and she's making no improvements wings even droop down.

Unfortunately sometimes chicks just fail to thrive. The nourishment from the yolk is gone by day 3 so this isn't an uncommon time to lose one. Some chicks are just weak and do not tolerate shipping. Have you tried adding Poultry Nutri-drench or even baby Poly-Vi-Sol (the NO IRON formula) to their water?

Unfortunately sometimes chicks just fail to thrive. The nourishment from the yolk is gone by day 3 so this isn't an uncommon time to lose one. Some chicks are just weak and do not tolerate shipping. Have you tried adding Poultry Nutri-drench or even baby Poly-Vi-Sol (the NO IRON formula) to their water?

X's 2, you can also hard boil an egg and give the yolk to the chick.

Hubby just called as I'm at work and said the ill chick has passed. :( I only ordered three chicks as I'm only aloud three where I live. Will the two that are happy and healthy be ok just the two of them?

2 will be ok together. Sorry about the little one. Sometimes the travel stress is too much for them. When I got my first ones from the feed store, one of them died the first night too. It sounds like the other 2 are healthy. I know you will enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom