Baby ducks leg

chardin29

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
I was trying to hatch my first set of ducks and out of 4, one survived. They were 4 days past hatching and he was having problems getting out due to being shrink wrapped. I waited 48 and went in and assisted him. He was pretty weak the first 24 hours and didn't think he would make it, but he is now wired and feisty. The only problem is he can barely walk bc one of his legs and foot are backwards. He hobbles and flips around. I can not get rid of him bc he is my only survivor. I will do whatever it takes to help him. So if anyone has any suggestions, it would be helpful. I called vets around me and no one sees ducks. Please no negative comments. Thanks

In my opinion you may have to cull him. It doesn't look like it's gonna get much better and he can't live a full and meaningful life if he can't walk. Do the best for him and if it doesn't get better cull him.

I was trying to hatch my first set of ducks and out of 4, one survived. They were 4 days past hatching and he was having problems getting out due to being shrink wrapped. I waited 48 and went in and assisted him. He was pretty weak the first 24 hours and didn't think he would make it, but he is now wired and feisty. The only problem is he can barely walk bc one of his legs and foot are backwards. He hobbles and flips around. I can not get rid of him bc he is my only survivor. I will do whatever it takes to help him. So if anyone has any suggestions, it would be helpful. I called vets around me and no one sees ducks. Please no negative comments. Thanks

Hi sweetie, and welcome to BYC! This condition looks like curled toe paralysis, and it's often treatable. Just to avoid a bunch of rehashing things, please take a look at this post-->https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1015168/newly-hatched-duclking-leg-foot-problems#post_15732317 .

When you have a duckling or chick with this, it's very important to start treatment right away. The earlier you start, the more chance it will be successful. Even waiting days will often cause it to be permanent.

Beautiful little baby!

Ducks can recover well if given the right help in a timely manner.

Even those with permanent imperfections can live happily in the right environment. Some folks specialize in caring for special needs ducks.

Often problems with not enough B vitamins can cause leg issues. I would put a tablespoon of brewer's yeast per cup of crumbles for a couple of months.

Does the foot unroll fairly easily or is it pretty tight?

Back
Top Bottom