Hello All

Jesusfreak101

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi my names Rebecca, I have a flock of three Delaware two hens one rooster, four leghorns all hens, five golden sex links hens, one Australorp hen, four bar rock Plymouths chicks, four Rhode island reds chicks. So far only that leghorns have been laying, all the others are little younger the Delawares are about to start they two weeks younger then the leghorns and the golden and the Australorp are four months barely and the others are only two months. So far the only ones that aren't my favorites are the youngest ones, the others love my daughter whose two and both my husband and myself. I came on this site for some advice regarding my chickens and my daughter. We have two or three spots where ants have taken over, they are quite large ants red with black butts we believe them to be fire ants however their mounds are underground there is no ant hill. I am nervous about using poisons near my daughter and the chickens. My husband would have to do this as I am pregnant as well. I trying to find a way to get the hens to eat the ants but outside of force feeding them they wont touch them. My chickens are free ranging so its quite hard keeping them away from the ants and there not a way I can keep them in the coop for 24hrs as to were they would be depressed and the rooster would not stop crowing if left in the coop for more than a hour after sunrise. I don't want to stress them out but I also don't want them to be bitten by the ants or have my daughter bitten. The ants have been come a huge problem as they have been coming in the house even after spraying the house with poison and have been biting my daughter at night something has to be done. I need help if you have any ideals I will be more then happy to hear them thank you for your time. Sorry for any grammar errors.

I doubt they would be bitten by the ants, It is more likely they would bite the ants.

My chickens dug out a hornet nest last year and ate everything in it, and most of the hornets.

Welcome to BYC

BTW when I lived in Florida we had fire ants they were very small and had a small granular hill.

Last edited:
Thank you, and with all the research I have done I cant figure out why they haven't touched them. I dug up the nest and put some food on it that our chickens go crazy for but they only ate the food and would not touch any of the ants. They eat every other bug but from what I have seen they don't touch that ants or the hornets maybe I have a weird flock I don't know but yeah its driving me batty.

Mmm maybe the oldest ones we have (leghorns) are just starting to hit the sixmonth mark i have two that are laying, so that could be it. I seen one or two eat a scorpian so i thought ants wouldnt be a big deal but i guess its different in the way they have to kill them.

Last edited:
Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom