Help! 3wk old chick

thebluebuffalo

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
We have a 4 week old chick that has a swollen under belly and around the vent area. Looks kinda like the chick has a golf ball in her belly... "Brownie" is eating and acting fine... It doesn't seem to bother or hurt Brownie... Can any one help us out and know what it could possibly be!!

Well If it were near her Neck, I would say its just her crop, don't worry about it, she is just eating a lot and you should ration her food,.... but I haven't seen this yet. I've only been a chicken owner for 2 weeks and I already know more about chickens than I ever wished XD I recommend looking at chicken anatomy first, and seeing what possible diseases/ body issues are common in chicks. If she seems to be fine, I say leave her be. DO NOT push on the lump. It could rupture or explode, eliminating any chance of treating your chick. It could be that she has Hay and other thread like substances in her gizzard that are all balled up, though i Do not know that treatment for this. I would assume small amounts of water would flush it through, but then you have a risk of expanding the grass and hay, due to the fact that it absorbs water.

Back
Top Bottom