My sweet baby girl peking duck has just got mean overnight

pattyhatcher

Chirping
Sep 1, 2015
I have just one female Peking duck. Long story short, we live in Orange County, CA where nobody has ducks so this is my first. We live on a little man made lake. We rescued Daffy when she appeared to be a few days old, She was abandoned by her mom and not able to get out of the lake. We tried to bring her back to the lake when she was older, but she got attacked by something and required over 30 stiches and went blind in one eye. Two years later, she is a total house duck. We do have a pool where she can swim. Many duck do waddle across the street every day because we feed them but Daffy has no interest in other ducks. We have tried to socialize her for two years and have pretty much given up. She loves people though. We have brought her up more like a dog. She has three dog beds, she sleeps inside every night. During the day we play with her and swim with her in the pool. She get's a lot of love and attention all the time. We have done all the research to feed her everything she needs to be healthy. We have diapers for her and she watches TV every night on the couch with us. She is absolutely spoiled rotten. She loves to be held and cuddled, well at least until about a week and a half ago. She was having egg laying issues. We took her to 2 vets. Unfortunately there are really no vets within 75 miles that frequently see ducks. We have upped the calcium and vitamin D and done everything they suggested. She has now not layed an egg in about 3 weeks. Before this she was laying an egg in her bed every morning. After her last visit to the vet she has not wanted to be picked up or pet. She is pecking at us and even her beds and the furniture. She has completely changed overnight. Any ideas? Also any ideas why she is not laying eggs. Sorry for the long post but it is heartbreaking her total change in behavior. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC, sorry for the circumstances. Is there any possibility that she is going broody?

I have just one female Peking duck. Long story short, we live in Orange County, CA where nobody has ducks so this is my first. We live on a little man made lake. We rescued Daffy when she appeared to be a few days old, She was abandoned by her mom and not able to get out of the lake. We tried to bring her back to the lake when she was older, but she got attacked by something and required over 30 stiches and went blind in one eye. Two years later, she is a total house duck. We do have a pool where she can swim. Many duck do waddle across the street every day because we feed them but Daffy has no interest in other ducks. We have tried to socialize her for two years and have pretty much given up. She loves people though. We have brought her up more like a dog. She has three dog beds, she sleeps inside every night. During the day we play with her and swim with her in the pool. She get's a lot of love and attention all the time. We have done all the research to feed her everything she needs to be healthy. We have diapers for her and she watches TV every night on the couch with us. She is absolutely spoiled rotten. She loves to be held and cuddled, well at least until about a week and a half ago. She was having egg laying issues. We took her to 2 vets. Unfortunately there are really no vets within 75 miles that frequently see ducks. We have upped the calcium and vitamin D and done everything they suggested. She has now not layed an egg in about 3 weeks. Before this she was laying an egg in her bed every morning. After her last visit to the vet she has not wanted to be picked up or pet. She is pecking at us and even her beds and the furniture. She has completely changed overnight. Any ideas? Also any ideas why she is not laying eggs. Sorry for the long post but it is heartbreaking her total change in behavior. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much!
Sometimes when a duck is hurt, even if they dont show any signs at all, they get distant. And females also get distant because they leave their moms earlier than males. If she is truly like you know all lovey dovey, she'll go back to it after about 18 days, thats when they lay eggs, 18 day time frames. and it could be one or more, it just depends. I hope she returns to her cute little self

I am leaning toward the broody likelihood. Can you give her a cozy little spot, with a fake egg or three and see if she starts sitting on them? I let my broodies sit on duds and sometimes they are over it in half a day, or a few days, or they go full-on broody. I just make sure they get enough food and water and opportunity to wash up in a swim pan when they want to.

Now she is acting like she is on a hallucinogenic drug. She doesn't want anyone to go near her. When we try to pet her, she is quacking and biting and even going in circles. We tried putting eggs in her bed. It hasn't worked yet. It is like she can't relax at all. Is all of that normal when they are broody? She is also pulling out her feathers. We are so sad. We did find a bird vet that is about an hour a way but is on vacation for a week and a half. Any other suggestions? We just put her back in the house in her "duck bed" with all her favorite toys and she still won't relax.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I appreciate it.
Have a nice weekend.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom