4 week old baby roosters fighting!

StephiJo

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
This is my first time hatching chicks on my own and letting mother hen raise them free ranging with the flock. I have 9 chicks that are 4 weeks old; no clue how many roosters. But I went out this morning and 2 of them were fighting nonstop, the smaller one bleeding in a bunch of spots. The mother hen was just letting them go at it. I separated them for awhile til they cooled off, then I put the smaller one who was getting the worst of it back with the mother and chicks, free ranging. The bigger bully I put in a little pasture pen so he can be out with them but they are separated by fencing. What should I do long term? We plan on keeping 1 of the roosters that are in this batch but are waiting to see which one seems to be the nicest. (We currently have a very mean adult rooster that we want to replace.) Thanks for any tips you can provide!

If these chicks were fathered by your mean rooster, he likely passed his temperament on to his chicks. Aggression tends to be inherited in chickens. If you have a chick showing a high level of aggression already, the kindest thing to do would be to euthanize him. He won't grow out of it. If you choose to rehome him, inform any buyers that he has an aggressive temperament, and understand that he will probably end up being dinner.

I probably wouldn't let 1 little skirmish seal their fate. Let them cool their spurs for an hour or so then reintroduce big boy and see what happens.

They can spar as long as no permanent damage is done.

They have to sort out who will be king. The little guy is most likely not going to be the one. I used to interfere with 'chick fights' but not so much any more. I can't be there 24/7 and they just have to work it out among themselves. Now on the odd chance, perhaps like the one you came upon, there needs be a separation, but you can not enforce it in your free ranging flock, anymore that I can mine. It is more likely than not that you have other calls on your time and attention, so unless you have a large number of 'time out' pens, you will need to let the looser bow out and take its place a little further down the pecking order. It is just a natural thing that the spoils go to the biggest/fastest/baddest bird.

Regarding inheriting the mean gene, I suppose it could be, but I have found the environment to have an equal to or greater than influence. How you raise him and what you teach him you will allow, or not, will have more of an impact that the mean jean.
wink.png

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Unless you know for certain they are baby roosters - they could just as well be two aggressive hens fighting for alpha pecking order. In the interim I would remove your grown rooster from the flock. Having his temperament around does you no good. There is a real buyers market for roosters - you can pick and choose and get one that will truly be a honor to have in your flock. Proper rooster behavior, respectful of humans and protective of his flock members. A good rooster would break up squabbles in the flock, without being brutal. He would also teach young roos a lesson.

Once you have 20 posts you can participate in the BYC buy, sell, trade forum - and see what kinds of quality roosters are out there. There is never a good reason to keep a bad roo.

The behavior you report is normal baby chick behavior. At 4 weeks old every chick is subject to chick fights. You have heard about the pecking order haven't you? Well these baby fights are normal baby chick behavior and part of the pecking order. Put a little medicated Vaseline on their heads if they have scalped each other and let them be chickens. They will learn to live together if you will give them an opportunity.

Obviously this is normal chicken behavior because their mother is cool with it. You will only have more problems down the road if you interfere at this stage. This behavior is only what to expect in a free range environment so let them be chickens. The only real alternative to the pecking order is to confine every one of your birds in a laying cage. These cages are the only way to keep chickens without them squabbling.

Man fighting roosters are made by their owners they are not born or even hatched.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom