3 Abacot Ranger Ducks in Brockport, NY on the Erie Canal

Sophie4

Hatching
Sep 3, 2015
We are docked on our motor yacht, Tool Time, at the Visitor Center in Brockport, NY and will be departing on Tuesday to head back to our home in FL.

When we arrived last Saturday there were 3 unusual larger ducks in the canal swimming together but with the seasonal Mallards. No one knew what kind of ducks they were. I began to GOOGLE information about ducks and discovered that these 3 are Abacot Ranger Ducks. The Visitor Center Dock says they arrived almost 3 weeks ago and have continued to "hang out" here. They get along well with the Mallards and roost along the dock's edge at night. I've seen the 3 Abacot Ranger ducks up on shore on the other side of the canal; they are not afraid of people and are getting handouts.

I did read that folks release them into their apple orchards, etc. They appear to be "on the lamb." What will happen to these ducks when the canal freezes and they can't forage?
Should the Humane or Wildlife organization be called while we are in port on the canal?

Do these ducks often "fly the coop" and leave their "range?"

I spent awhile GOOGLING information about the ducks and discovered what kind of ducks they are. They are domesticated and not wild.

They are handsome ducks. I believe there are two males and one female or vice-versa. Is there away to identify the sex of the ducks? They have that lovely brindled brown pattern on their bodies with 2 darker hoods and 1 lighter. Their bills are blue.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom