Limping Barred Rock

Spartan22

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 2, 2014
NE Ohio
My 23 week old Barred Rock been limping for 2 wks now. I've checked the legs, foot and pad but no signs of injury. I kind of really feel bad for her since she can't perch w/ the rest. Wondering what could be the cause? Do I need to cull her to get her out of her misery?
She's been eating and laying eggs everyday. She just sat a lot and seems had problem w/ mobility w/ one foot.

Does she hold her bad leg up when she walks or does she walk on it? Does she move her toes? How high are your roosts? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would place her in a dog crate or pen inside the coop or run with food and water for 1-2 weeks to force her to rest the leg. Then you can evaluate her walking, and either let her out or keep her penned. A leg sprain or a broken bone can take several weeks to heal. Mareks disease can cause paralysis of one or both legs or wings, or a drooping neck, and many other symptoms. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently within the last 6 weeks or so?

Yes she hold her bad leg up, but she has to walk with it to balance herself. She can move her toes, she was marek disease vaccinated when she was a chick. My roosts are 1.5', 2' and 4' high respectively. My barred rocks(4 hens) never go to the highest perch. Nope I've not added new chicken since spring (March 21 when they hatched). I did saw her tried to perch the other night on the lowest and I took her down so she won't reinjure her leg in case she jumps down. Today I saw her laying egg in 1' high nest which she hasn't done in a while. She's been laying eggs on the bottom drawer 3" elevated from floor or on the floor lately.

Well, that sounds promising that she only has a sprain. I had a hen who limped like that for over a month, who finally got well. If I had confined her to force her to rest it, she may have gotten better earlier, but she roosted and got to her food and water fine. Some people use some B Complex or poultry vitamins in the water to help with sprains. You could place her on the roost at night, and put something like a box or ladder to help get down from easier.

Well, that sounds promising that she only has a sprain. I had a hen who limped like that for over a month, who finally got well. If I had confined her to force her to rest it, she may have gotten better earlier, but she roosted and got to her food and water fine. Some people use some B Complex or poultry vitamins in the water to help with sprains. You could place her on the roost at night, and put something like a box or ladder to help get down from easier.

Thanks for the advice, Made me feel better that I don't have to send her to freezer camp since she only started laying 4-5 wks ago. Love the fact that I can consult with someone w/ more experience than me.

Back
Top Bottom