Over 18 weeks old and still not roosting while sleeping....

ChickenHawk12

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Is this a problem? We have bars up, and my daughter has seen one of them up there once or twice when locking them up for the night, but they are still sleeping in a huddle (or 2-3 together) in the corner. And it has been crazy hot here, even at night, so they certainly aren't cold. Do I need to stress about the roosting, or just leave it be? The coop itself is up 2 feet off the ground, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.....

What breeds are they? Silkies and Frizzles don't usually use roosts. If you have larger breed hens, then the roosting bars might not be wide enough for them to feel comfortable using. Chickens' feet aren't really designed for gripping perches. Rounded roosts should be at least 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Flat roosts should be at least 4 inches.

Have you tried to put them on it every night. Once they get the hang of it they will start to do it on their own.

Hope this helped!
1f60e.png

What breeds are they? Silkies and Frizzles don't usually use roosts. If you have larger breed hens, then the roosting bars might not be wide enough for them to feel comfortable using. Chickens' feet aren't really designed for gripping perches. Rounded roosts should be at least 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Flat roosts should be at least 4 inches.
They are Buff Orpingtons. They are already huge. How low to/high off the floor of the coop should roosts be? I wonder if it is too close to the roof? We have a stand-alone roost we made out of pvc, but I took it out of the coop and put it in the run for them to practice on because they weren't using it at night. They sometimes sit on it during the day, so I put it back in the coop tonight. I guess I will check the poop pile in the morning to see if they used it?

I have a big 8 pound rooster that can get up to the highest roost in my coop (6 feet up). I have three lower roosts, but those are more for 'playtime' on rainy days. Since Buff Orpingtons are pretty big birds, they will need a wide, stable roosting bar (no swinging/swaying), and they should be at least a foot above the nesting boxes.

I have a big 8 pound rooster that can get up to the highest roost in my coop (6 feet up). I have three lower roosts, but those are more for 'playtime' on rainy days. Since Buff Orpingtons are pretty big birds, they will need a wide, stable roosting bar (no swinging/swaying), and they should be at least a foot above the nesting boxes.
Hmmmm....ok. I thought perhaps the roost bars were too close to the roof. Maybe I will put in a wider piece of wood or a 3-4 inch thick branch. Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom