Adding new pullets to flock, advice needed

mizsmith

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2015
Hello,

I recently purchased 11 1.5 year old pullets and got another two about a week later that are about 20 or so weeks old. They are full grown and the same size as the older pullets. They are staying inside and not enjoying the outdoor part of the coop possibly cause they are scared of the others. They older hens do not seem to be VERY aggressive just territorial towards the food and water on the outside part of the coop which is making the younger 2 stay inside. When the 2 new pullets go outside they seem to be chased in eventually and just look uncomfortable. It's only day two with having them together as of now. Do you think i should give it more time and have seperate access for food and water for the younger 2 for now inside? or should they be fully seperated? So worried about my babies!

It's always a good idea to keep a wall between new introduction birds. We use 1/2 inch mesh wire for this so the birds can see each other but not get together to close. We keep the new birds like this for a week to two weeks, depending on reactions from both sides of the "fence". Both groups get their own food and water during this time. Once everyone is accustomed to seeing the others, we remove the fence and let the pecking order begin to sort its self out, that usually takes a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom