Pecking order or bully?

stansangelxxx

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2015
I had an 8 week old chicken separated from the flock a few weeks ago due to a broken beak that bled and made the others peck at her.

In isolation she had been visible to the flock so today now that the beak isn't bloody I reintroduced the chickens.

All but one chicken has been accepting. This one chicken pecks at her face and bites at her back. The previously injured chicken makes noise and runs away and stays low to the ground around her. It seems as if this behavior happens every time they see each other.

Is this pecking order or bullying? How long does this go on? So long as the others don't join in and there's no blood is the newly introduced chicken okay to stay?

I would pull the pecking one out for a couple of days, put it where the one with the beak was, see if that knocks that one down a bit.

What happens after the injured bird runs away? Does the aggressor just let it be? If so, leave them be. That's totally normal in the animal kingdom, the alpha makes the beta squeal and run away. Status affirmed, good enough.

If on the other hand the aggressor continually chases the injured bird, not accepting the squeal and run but constantly chases and pecks, I'd pull that bird out for a day or so.

The aggressor lets it be. Looks like the injured bird is getting savvy and is keeping distance, turning away when it's near, and keeps other birds between them.

Back
Top Bottom