Is this a good deal? A decrowed roosters for $100

I live in a 2 acres lot and roosters are allow as long as they don't become nuisance for the neighbors. If roosters weren't allow, I definitely get this guy. He seems like a good breeding roo too.

What are you wanting a rooster for? If you're breeding Marans, would you spend that much money on this guy anyway? I'm not enough of a Marans person to judge how SOP he is, but I have to say he just doesn't look balanced to me. It may be his age/immaturity, I don't know. maybe post on the Marans thread and see what those folks say? IMO the fact that he's decrowed does not make him worth the money, he's got to have the structure to back up that price.

He may not be SOP. But the fact that he's decrowed is well worth the money for city folks that are not allowed to have roosters.

Again, what is your purpose in needing a rooster? What would be the point of having him? That would help us answer you better.

It may well be worth YOUR money, but it wouldn't be worth mine. I'm cheap and if I lived where roosters weren't allowed, I'd simply not have roosters. But, it's your money and you're a grown-up and can spend it how you want. Sounds like you need to convenience your wife, not an interwebz board.

You (and your wife) are the only ones who can decide if this is a good deal or not. Why do you want a rooster? (If he's illegal where you live, it should be a moot point anyway, as he still crows.) Do you want him for breeding purposes? If so, you should probably look into whether or not you have a limit on how many chickens you can have where you live. If you are breeding, you need to think about what you're going to do with all the unwanted cockerels you're going to end up with.If you want him just because you want a rooster even though it's illegal where you live, I'd say it's not a good deal at all. But that's me - I'm not going to start breeding anything special, and I can have as many chickens and roosters as I want, so I wouldn't spend that much for a chicken. But as Donrae said, you're a grown-up and it's your money....

Thanks all for your inputs. We want a rooster to protect our flock while free ranging, and I'd like to hatch my own chicks once in awhile. We can have roosters where we live, but a "quiet" rooster is a plus too keep the peace with our closest neighbor.
We went ahead a got him at a 20% discount price.

Back
Top Bottom