Breeding Easter Eggers

Gingersnap722

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2013
FL
Hi, I have an Ameraucana rooster. Which breeds of hens do you recommend to breed him with to get Easter Eggers?

Thanks, Donna

Hi, I have an Ameraucana rooster. Which breeds of hens do you recommend to breed him with to get Easter Eggers?

Thanks, Donna

If you want light blue eggs, white laying hens are a good choice - if you want darker eggs then a brown laying breed is a good choice - for olive eggers a "chocolate" laying breed is needed. Beyond that, really not a big difference, imo - just choose hen breeds that meet what you want - for example, if you want a high producing Easter Egger you want to choose a hen breed that is a good production breed.

You can use any hens. I like more oddball looking EEs so I have used eggs from my Russian orloff, brabanter, brahma and for some olive eggs my welsummer. What are your goals with raising EEs and what breeds of hens do you have?

Thanks guys. We raise our chickens to sell and people love the Easter Eggers. We have a variety of breeds of hens. Columbian Wyandotte, Light Brahma, Cochin, Buff Orpington, Cream Brabanter, Golden Laced Wyandotte, English Orpington, Dark Cornish, Blue Andalusian, Salmon Faverolle and Partridge Rock.

I have a black one and these two. They aren't hatchery birds since those are actually EE's. What do you think? Look good or no?

I have a black one and these two. They aren't hatchery birds since those are actually EE's. What do you think? Look good or no?
No offense was meant in asking about the source - many people are not aware of the issue with hatchery sourced "Ameraucana" and operate under the assumption that their birds are what they were represented to be, not realizing that they are actually Easter Eggers. It is an important distinction in a situation such as your post where you are wanting to breed Easter Eggers using your roosters because if they were not true Ameraucana there would be the issue of the questionable genetics they would bring to the proposed Easter Egger equation.

No offense was meant in asking about the source - many people are not aware of the issue with hatchery sourced "Ameraucana" and operate under the assumption that their birds are what they were represented to be, not realizing that they are actually Easter Eggers. It is an important distinction in a situation such as your post where you are wanting to breed Easter Eggers using your roosters because if they were not true Ameraucana there would be the issue of the questionable genetics they would bring to the proposed Easter Egger equation.
No offense taken at all. We got them from a friend who assured us they were true Ameraucanas. That's one of the reasons I posted pics, so I could get some good opinions. We want to do it right.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom