Venus the (now) lame duck Is there a way to make her less attractive?

LadyIsadora

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Utah
Venus is in tatters and now lame. Is there anyway to make her less desirable to the drakes? How do I treat her leg? She is a Jumbo Pekin, pure white with a cream coloured bill, gently freckled with beauty spots. She is the biggest bird in the flock but she is the most disheveled. She is the most desired duck in the flock it would seem. Every time I turn around some Drake is chasing her around the pond or yard trying to get at her. I guess it could be that she is a fighter/ runner, more than the other gals, so it catches my attention. I have a flock of 9. Two drakes and 7 ducks. they are 26 weeks old. (one duck is 30 weeks, but that hardly matters in this story ;-)
She is basically bald from the top of her head to between her wings. Her feathers look like she had a run in with a first year beauty student. Now, on top of being the biggest mess she is also lame.
My best guess is that she stumbled over some mud holes trying to get away and has sprained her leg. the ground here is ...less than level. Especially because I purposely give them lots of puddles to muddle in and they make them into caverns all over the yard. The burrowing animal we had this spring did not help matters at all.
The point is now she is sitting a lot and limping around when she tries to walk. Her leg is swollen and warm to the touch. I dont see any open sores anywhere.
Is there a way to, or an advantage to splinting her leg?
I have separated her out of the flock last night. I put her in a wire kennel next to the main pen so they can all see each other at night. She is getting some needed rest, but wants to go play with the other ducks on the pond. If I leave her in there 24/7 wont it atrophy? Any Ideas on how to proceed?
She doesn't seem to like being alone, she wants to go play with the others. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I know if I let her out those Drakes will be chasing her all over and exacerbate the problem, but outside of sending the boys to freezer camp, I don't know how to keep them from chasing her without someone being in lock down all day.
Is there a spray or chastity belt for ducks. I know that sounds funny....but dang!
How do I treat a sprain?

Hi @LadyIsadora , long time no talk
wink.png

First, let's talk about the leg. I have treated sprains, and they are fairly easy to treat. She needs to soak the leg in Epsom salts, and for me, the easiest way to do that is an epsom salt compress. You make an warm epsom salt solution, and soak a rag in it, then wrap the leg in the rag and hold them. I have had my daughter do this while watching a movie, and I will change the rag for a fresh one every 20 minutes or so. I would do this 2-3 times a day ,for at least 20 minutes each time. Water therapy is important. Start the day off with a warm bath inside alone ( I know - messy!) The things we will do for our lovelies :) Then allow her as much swimming time in her cool water pond as she can. Bring her back in at night for another long warm bath. Give her treats during the soak to make it more fun for her. She should start feeling better in no time. For one of my ducks it was a couple of days, the other took about 10 days, but they both recovered fully.

Now, about your drakes. For now, they need to be separated from your whole flock. Give your Jumbo Pekin her girls back, and she will start to feel much better. Give the drakes some time to cool off, and give them their own portion of the yard for a while. I hate to say this, but one of the drakes may need to go. I have a duck that is a favorite too, but she isn't showing signs of overmating yet. Your drakes have both chosen a favorite, and her life is miserable because of it. She shouldn't have to suffer. Do you have a favorite drake? I know you have eaten some of your ducks in the past, maybe that is an option here?

Two drakes should be ok with 7 ducks, but one thing I have noticed with my drakes is they have to erase what the other guy just did, and mate with the same duck right after. Sometimes this can snowball and get worse and worse. They may be competing too much for your ducks attention, and maybe they aren't the best pair of drakes to have together.

My two drakes don't seem to compete much. One is the clear Alpha, and the other steps back. Peeper the Alpha will mate at least 10 times a day, where Ginger the Beta will mate maybe once or twice. It's like he knows it isn't his place, and he'd much rather forage, thank you very much.

Do the drakes ever fight among themselves, like they are trying to establish dominance? That might be part of what is going on here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Im so sad for her.
I will have to start compresses & baths. She is not fond of being picked up so I have not done it yet. She fights so much Im afraid she is going to sprain a wing. About 1/2 way through the day, I locked the Drakes in the big kennel and opened the gate to the little kennel where Venus is. She has not left the kennel at all today. the other girls come to visit and forage for her food. Nobody is playing on the pond. Everybody is upset.
The Drakes are Zorro (Rouen) and Osiris (Golden 300 hybrid) Zorro is my favourite just because he is really beautiful. He's kind of an *** though. rough one with the ladies. He does show dominance. He would not let Osiris on the pond for nearly a week. I only planned on over-wintering 5 ducks, but have changed my mind. I love the eggs and am hoping to incubate ducklings in the spring. But I cant have my cake and eat it too it would seem.
I so love my duckies. I don't care if they poop in the tub.
Are sprains normally warm to the touch? she is pretty swollen.

Sprains can be warm to the touch. Gingersnap got stepped on earlier this summer by a rowdy friend (who has not been invited back) and had a decent sprain. He may have had a torn tendon too, but I chose for the vet not to do x-rays since it wouldn't have changed the outcome. I did the compresses and the warm/cool baths and he was noticeably better in a few days. He favored it for about a month, but now he doesn't show any signs of lingering trauma. I would give your girl some time to perk up. Ducks hold on to trauma for a while. They are tender hearts. They don't just forget and move on like some animals. Keep the drakes separated until you figure out a solution. Either you need to find her a new home, or rehome one of the drakes (or freeze, whatever floats your boat :) Unfortunately, it sounds like Zorro might be the one to go. If he is rough, and you find a new home for your sweet Venus, he might pick a new girl to torture. Drakes are so hard! I love their personalities and lovely feathers, but they can be hormonal jerks! They can't help it! I feel so bad for my girls sometimes, when they are chasing one around the yard. Reminds me of when I was a newlywed! Ha! I'm sure you;ll figure out the right thing for your flock. I can tell you really care, and that can make things so much harder!

Have you tried giving her vitamins? I understand that it can really help - they sell it at IFA, it is really cheap and couldn't hurt to try.

You are so funny.
They are hormonal jerks. Do they grow out of it? I mean I know most males dont but maybe its seasonal? maybe because its a new thing to them? I am afraid he would just pick a new gal to abuse. I kind of know he has to go. Im just working up to it I guess.
I did pick up some vitamins to have on hand when the ducks were younger. Just in case. I'm sure I put them in a logical, safe place, appropriate for vitamin storage..... Now if I can only remember where that was.
I wonder if the icky sprays they sell in pet stores would work to make her less desirable. I know they sell stuff designed to spray on stuff so dogs wont chew it up or pee on it.

You are so funny.  
      They are hormonal jerks.  Do they grow out of it? I mean I know most males dont but maybe its seasonal? maybe because its a new thing to them?  I am afraid he would just pick a new gal to abuse.  I kind of know he has to go.  Im just working up to it I guess.   
       I did pick up some vitamins to have on hand when the ducks were younger.  Just in case.  I'm sure I put them in a logical, safe place, appropriate for vitamin storage..... Now if I can only remember where that was. 
      I wonder if the icky sprays they sell in pet stores would work to make her less desirable. I know they sell stuff designed to spray on stuff so dogs wont chew it up or pee on it.

Well they are! My drakes are the sweetest babies, but when they chase one of my girls down and throw her to the ground I want to hose them off!

I also put things in very good places, never to be found again :)

I wouldn't use any of those sprays, ducks preen all day, and I would be more afraid of her getting some in her mouth when she tries to preen. Just have an all drake flock for now, and keep your girls separate. How is Venus today?

Very swollen and sore, but eating and generally in good spirits think. She is enjoying the bathtub at the moment. I soaked her with Epsom compresses for a little bit, while I ran her a bath and put some dried meal worms in there with her. I wrapped her in a towel while I held the compresses on her legs and feet. she was surprisingly compliant. I held her there but with the sound of the tub running, too much coffee and my jeans soaked by the compress...old age and having had children.......well it was just too much for me, It was the gentlest rush to the bathroom I could manage. Something like a waddle and a skip. LOL and she got in the bath.
The tub is not as warm as I would have liked it but I think the hydro-therapy is still good.

It might be worth trying something in addition to the congress and bath. T-relief can be rubbed on the leg. It is safe for ducks and can help with swelling. I am so glad she is perking up a little!

You made me laugh! I have had 4 kids, so I can totally appreciate your waddle and skip! Ha!

Last edited:
I did compresses & warm baths a few times yesterday. The swelling seems to be getting worse. Im treating both feet & legs as it appears she has a bumble. I have started putting peroxide on it after the bath then neosporin. I don't know what t-relief is but ill look into it today. Do I look in the pharmacy or pet store? I guess I could look that up.
Im going to go get some witch hazel too. it cant hurt. Its good for everything else. Also going to alternate with comfrey compresses. At this point im so worried about the swelling its like spaghetti- throw it all against the wall & see what sticks. If the swelling doesn't come down soon, should I look into antibiotics? Do you have personal experience with using them?

@Amiga has helped a lot of people with bumblefoot. The T-Relief has comfrey in it, so you should be good. It's at a regular pharmacy. Can you upload a picture? It's hard to imagine the selling getting worse with the care you are providing, maybe it is something else entirely, and not a sprain? Is it a possibility to take her to a vet?

Back
Top Bottom