Why do geese pulse their wings a little while standing around?

I notice they do this calmly just standing there...are they fanning themselves?
Maybe I really don't know, with my ducks they do it after bathing. I do know when my flock of chickens ducks and geese are hot they will stand with their wings off from their body so maybe with geese it does have something to do with cooling themselves.

If you find out for sure post back.

They do it when they are hot. It is to release body heat. Remember, they are surrounded by down feathers and become hot even when it is cool to us.

As long as they are not panting they are okay.

They do it when they are hot. It is to release body heat. Remember, they are surrounded by down feathers and become hot even when it is cool to us.

As long as they are not panting they are okay.
Another question if you don't mind : do you know their language? What do their different vocalizations mean?

Another question if you don't mind : do you know their language? What do their different vocalizations mean?

I know what most of their vocalizations mean but they are hard to describe in text. Here are the three that are probably easiest to identify.

A very loud screechy honk: called "love trumpeting" geese do this to humans when they are very closely bonded. Not all geese do this. They don't need to be imprinted to humans to do it, it just means they love that particular human. They do it when they see that person, as a greeting.

Humming/muttering while eating: a sign of content, happiness, feelings of safety.

A loud, piercing call, over and over: this usually is them calling over another goose. They will stop when the goose (or human) they want comes over (or ignores them long enough.)

I know what most of their vocalizations mean but they are hard to describe in text. Here are the three that are probably easiest to identify.

A very loud screechy honk: called "love trumpeting" geese do this to humans when they are very closely bonded. Not all geese do this. They don't need to be imprinted to humans to do it, it just means they love that particular human. They do it when they see that person, as a greeting.

Humming/muttering while eating: a sign of content, happiness, feelings of safety.

A loud, piercing call, over and over: this usually is them calling over another goose. They will stop when the goose (or human) they want comes over (or ignores them long enough.That
Thanks! My female does this really sharp "oink" call. Then this high pitched softer whistley noise. The gander makes this low honk with his head down. And he does this little sound like a soft whistle/laugh. And he responds to my talking to him with short muted single honks. what are those?

Back
Top Bottom