Need ducks and goose advice

BrandyLei

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2015
Kansas
I need an opinion from others that are experienced with geese and ducks. Dexter is a 10-ish year old African gander that was given to me. His previous owner said his flock, to include his mate, we're all killed in one night by a predator. I think it happened within the past couple months. Dexter is incredibly lonely, as he is my first and only goose. My ducks are terrified of him and won't go near him. For a little bit longer, my ducks and goose are free-range. They have the run of the farm all day. The ducks go into their pen on their own at dusk and stay til dawn. Dex stays in the front yard all day and night.

Soon, I'm going to pen them all up. Due to the in-laws' need for new chicken coop space, they are taking over my duck pen and barn for the winter. This leaves me with one partitioned barn and two pens. I also have 3 lambs, a calf and a jack that will be wintering in the pens and barn.

The pens and barn are big enough for everyone, I'm more worried about disagreements between the animals. Also, tomorrow, I an going to go get an Embden? goose for Dex. It breaks my heart to listen to him softly calling for another goose.

I have several concerns:

#1. Three mallards, 2 Pekins, 1 African goose, 1 Embden goose, 3 weaned lambs,1 weaned calf and 1 jack in close quarters for the winter. Am I asking for fights....or (haha) an "Animal Farm" type situation? In my defense, I am neither a drunk nor irresponsible, just inexperienced with everything except dogs and cats.

#2. Food - my ducks and lambs are greedy little boogers. They've cleared out the cat food dish more than once, and I'm sure they will help themselves to any grain I feed, whether it's meat for them or not. Will all-stock or calf pellets hurt my ducks? Will game bird feed hurt the lambs, calf or jack?

#3. As far as the 4-leggeds go, my boyfriend and his parents have plenty of experience and are willing to help and give advice. It's the ducks and geese everyone is less experienced with.

On the plus side, predators are something I will not have to worry about at all. Our 10-year old Great Pyrenees, Rocky, patrols all night, and the 6 month old Great Pyr, Mack, is "in training," though at the moment, he seems content to make sure our bedroom window is secure. All. Night. Long. :)

Any helpful hints, any advice, will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to BYC

I am going to let @jchny2000 answer your questions since she has different breeds of animals. I'll say i am glad your getting your goose a friend they really do mourn and need the company of their own..

I need an opinion from others that are experienced with geese and ducks. Dexter is a 10-ish year old African gander that was given to me. His previous owner said his flock, to include his mate, we're all killed in one night by a predator. I think it happened within the past couple months. Dexter is incredibly lonely, as he is my first and only goose. My ducks are terrified of him and won't go near him. For a little bit longer, my ducks and goose are free-range. They have the run of the farm all day. The ducks go into their pen on their own at dusk and stay til dawn. Dex stays in the front yard all day and night.

Soon, I'm going to pen them all up. Due to the in-laws' need for new chicken coop space, they are taking over my duck pen and barn for the winter. This leaves me with one partitioned barn and two pens. I also have 3 lambs, a calf and a jack that will be wintering in the pens and barn.

The pens and barn are big enough for everyone, I'm more worried about disagreements between the animals. Also, tomorrow, I an going to go get an Embden? goose for Dex. It breaks my heart to listen to him softly calling for another goose.

I have several thoughts...:

#1. Three mallards, 2 Pekins, 1 African goose, 1 Embden goose, 3 weaned lambs,1 weaned calf and 1 jack in close quarters for the winter. Am I asking for fights....or (haha) an "Animal Farm" type situation? In my defense, I am neither a drunk nor irresponsible, just inexperienced with everything except dogs and cats.

#2. Food - my ducks and lambs are greedy little boogers. They've cleared out the cat food dish more than once, and I'm sure they will help themselves to any grain I feed, whether it's meat for them or not. Will all-stock or calf pellets hurt my ducks? Will game bird feed hurt the lambs, calf or jack?

#3. As far as the 4-leggeds go, my boyfriend and his parents have plenty of experience and are willing to help and give advice. It's the ducks and geese everyone is less experienced with.

On the plus side, predators are something I will not have to worry about at all. Our 10-year old Great Pyrenees, Rocky, patrols all night, and the 6 month old Great Pyr, Mack, is "in training," though at the moment, he seems content to make sure our bedroom window is secure. All. Night. Long.
smile.png

Any helpful hints, any advice, will be greatly appreciated!
Wow, lot happening there.. lets go by each question.
I have several concerns:

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
Loved your statement!
LOL, you are asking these questipns so obviously none of the above impairments! My only concern is how close of quarters with the calf, jack and lambs. They may step on your goose or other waterfowl. They may not know to move if hasn't been around them. How large and area, square footage?

Lamb, calf and the jack its really not good if they eat poultry feed. Its animal proteins normally and not a good choice for a rumen animal. If you can go with a non animal protein based feed it would cover all of the critters. But would also be a very high protein ration for the calves, lambs and jack. Push a lot of fresh hay for sure, if thats what you decide to do. Purina has excellent info for animal nutrition on the website.
Geese and ducks are more vegatarian than most think so they will fare well. Babies do need the meat proteins but adults do fine on a vegetable protein diet.

On the plus side, predators are something I will not have to worry about at all. Our 10-year old Great Pyrenees, Rocky, patrols all night, and the 6 month old Great Pyr, Mack, is "in training," though at the moment, he seems content to make sure our bedroom window is secure. All. Night. Long.
smile.png

With the exception of coyote, bear,cougar, dogs and 2 legged.. (man) you wont need to worry on geese. They are very capable of handling predators.

Last edited:
To be honest I would not trust any dog 100%. No matter the predator it's still a lot of responsibility. I have a Great Pyrenees meant to guard but I would never trust him enough to leave them out all night or anything. Be extra cautious. If something can go wrong, it will.

To be honest I would not trust any dog 100%. No matter the predator it's still a lot of responsibility. I have a Great Pyrenees meant to guard but I would never trust him enough to leave them out all night or anything. Be extra cautious. If something can go wrong, it will.
totally agree. I pen my geese at night also.

Wow, lot happening there.. lets go by each question.
I have several concerns:

#1. Three mallards, 2 Pekins, 1 African goose, 1 Embden goose, 3 weaned lambs,1 weaned calf and 1 jack in close quarters for the winter. Am I asking for fights....or (haha) an "Animal Farm" type situation? In my defense, I am neither a drunk nor irresponsible, just inexperienced with everything except dogs and cats.:yuckyuck :lau [COLOR=FF0000]Loved your statement![/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]LOL, you are asking these questipns so obviously none of the above impairments! My only concern is how close of quarters with the calf, jack and lambs. They may step on your goose or other waterfowl. They may not know to move if hasn't been around them. How large and area, square footage?[/COLOR]
I haven't had time to measure, but the pens and barn was used by the in-laws for 30-40 sheep last year. We have decided to keep my wingeds on what used to be the pregnant ewes' side of the barn. It has a nursery in the barn with four stalls. We'll move the big rubber tub there, and add a heater for bathing, and get a heated water bucket for water.

[COLOR=FF0000]Lamb, calf and the jack its really not good if they eat poultry feed. Its animal proteins normally and not a good choice for a rumen animal. If you can go with a non animal protein based feed it would cover all of the critters. But would also be a very high protein ration for the calves, lambs and jack. Push a lot of fresh hay for sure, if thats what you decide to do. Purina has excellent info for animal nutrition on the website.[/COLOR]
There was a typo - the ducks and sheep will eat anything, whether or not it's **meant** for them. Only the cats and dogs get meat! I will look at Purina's website, see what I can find. And we square baled A LOT of straw and grasses this summer in preparation for winter, have feed and alfalfa bales.

[COLOR=FF0000]Geese and ducks are more vegatarian than most think so they will fare well. Babies do need the meat proteins but adults do fine on a vegetable protein diet.[/COLOR]
I have mostly young animals, but no babies.

On the plus side, predators are something I will not have to worry about at all. Our 10-year old Great Pyrenees, Rocky, patrols all night, and the 6 month old Great Pyr, Mack, is "in training," though at the moment, he seems content to make sure our bedroom window is secure. All. Night. Long. :)
[COLOR=FF0000]With the exception of coyote, bear,cougar, dogs and 2 legged.. (man) you wont need to worry on geese. They are very capable of handling predators.[/COLOR]

I figure between Rocky, Mack and Jack (the jack), everything should be pretty well protected.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm really happy that we have figured out a way to have all my pets in one spot near the house. I won't have to run all over the farm to visit and feed!

I figure between Rocky, Mack and Jack (the jack), everything should be pretty well protected.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm really happy that we have figured out a way to have all my pets in one spot near the house. I won't have to run all over the farm to visit and feed!

I really hope you aren't trying to say you are not going to lock them up at night.

Oh, no, the ducks all go into their pen at night on their own. The first night I had Dexter, I put him in the duck pen, and the ducks got all huffy and went to the sheep barn. My ducks still don't like Dex, and will go to what used to be the sheep barn when he goes into their pen. That works great, because that is where they'll be spending the winter! I just brought home 3 (female, I think) Embden geese for Dexter, and the 4 of them are in the duck pen. The ducks are, naturally, in the barn.

@BrandyLei there is always something that comes up when starting to keep a different species. Just PM (personal message) one of us you have met on the threads here. BYC has so many good caring folks willing to help! I am on this forum pretty much every night. You can also just continue to post on this thread, and some one will answer.

Back
Top Bottom