Getting started in Raising Quail for eggs

jcc1990

Hatching
Sep 27, 2015
So I am wanting to start out raising quail for eggs. However, I want to start off fairly small, maybe 5-10 quails. I've seen plenty of plans for larger quail houses, but what would be a good starter shelter for them? Could I find something like say, a rabbit cage, make some changes and call it a quail house? Also, aside from food and water bowls, what other materials and tools would I need (lighting, etc) Thank you so much for the answers, it seems google doesn't have too much when it comes to just starting out, or maybe I've been searching for the wrong things lol.

A rabbit hutch would be perfect, that's what I used when we kept quail although I lowered the ceiling with hardwire cloth to give them only 12 inches of height. I didn't use additional lighting, just feeders and waterers. If you can raise the back of their cage about 3 inches higher than the front the eggs will roll to the front for easier collection.

I have a rabbit cage that i sometimes use. I use rabbit water bottles for my quail. Mine begin to drink from them as early as two weeks. I use trough or chick feeders or hung from outside the cage feeders.

Back
Top Bottom