Where can I get Day Old Chicks Without Minimums?

Baby Chick Farm

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
Hi BYC,

I am thinking of getting some day old chicks from online hatcheries, because I don't have any nearby hatcheries. I live in Cupertino and would like chicks somewhere near spring. The problem is, I don't want 15 chicks or 25 chicks (usual minimum of online shipping) and shipping for small quantity chick offers are ridiculously high, even though I understand this is supposed to be more difficult to ship. What solution is possible? Are there any stores that may offer some in the spring near Cupertino, San Jose, CA?

Thanks so much,
Baby Chick Farm

Ideal Poultry doesn't require a minimum number of chicks, but they do require you to buy at least $25. They won't charge you a huge small order fee, but they may add a few 'packing peanuts.'

What you need to do is research all the mail order hatcheries, and find one that's within one shipping day from your address. They can tell you when you phone the hatchery when you tell them your zip code, how many days the shipment will require.

This will determine the minimum requirement. I'm in Colorado, and I ordered from My Pet Chicken which rents incubator space at Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. To my zip code, it requires two days for shipping, so the minimum is six chicks. However, this last time, I had my order shipped to some friends two hundred miles north of me. Their zip code had just a one day shipping time, so my minimum was three chicks.

See how it works?

This is also crucial when you are ordering during the cold part of the year. Less time in transit means less stress from extreme temperatures for your babies.

Another way to go would be to see if you have any private breeders within driving distance. I'm sure you won't find any minimums.

Oh, hi 3riverschick! I would like one of the each, if possible: barred plymouth rock female, rhode island red female, gold star (or red comet) female, and a female buff orphington. I like varieties!

I found people on craigslist offering chicks of my breed choices, but were 1 and a half hours away in one direction. I'm still looking, and I probably won't have chickens for several years due to our house and other problems. I'm not in any hurry at all! I've just considered about it. But thanks for your question!

Have you looked in your local area for chicks? What breed do you want?
Best,
Karen

Oh yeah, and I looked online on yelp for any local hatcheries, and I found this store not too far away from where we live that may help. I do have questions, though. Has anybody ever bought baby chicks from this store before? It is a pet store but claims to sell baby chicks. Yelp reviews are great, and I'm just hoping there are more out there. Thanks!

Close Feed & Supply: 727 Industrial Pkwy W Hayward, CA 94544

Oh yeah, and I looked online on yelp for any local hatcheries, and I found this store not too far away from where we live that may help. I do have questions, though. Has anybody ever bought baby chicks from this store before?  It is a pet store but claims to sell baby chicks. Yelp reviews are great, and I'm just hoping there are more out there. Thanks!

Close Feed & Supply: 727 Industrial Pkwy W Hayward, CA 94544

Most feed stores order from the big hatcheries, the same hatcheries you will find online... There are some instances when they will order from local breeders but that is rare unless you have a local breeder that has chicks ready every week... And believe it or no most feed stores are up front about the hatcheries they order from so ask... Beware though that most states and some localities still have minimum purchases to avoid impulse 'Easter chick' sales to people who tend to never plan ahead created unwanted animals... A feed store unlike a local farm is likely going to obey those minimum sales amounts in most cases so you still need to purchase several... And several is not a bad thing as chickens are social animals and do better in flocks...

Oh, hi 3riverschick! I would like one of the each, if possible: barred plymouth rock female, rhode island red female, gold star (or red comet) female, and a female buff orphington. I like varieties!
For a variety like that, a hatchery or feed store would probably be your best choice. My Pet Chicken has low minimums, in some cases as low as 3, in others one or two more depending on how far you are from them. My minimum from them is four.
You can also get together with someone and combine your orders but in that case you need to make sure you can tell the different breeds apart when they arrive.
I've done that, but in those cases we were all ordering the same breed so that made it easy.

Back
Top Bottom