african goose language

does anyone know the meaning of the different sounds african geese make?
Lets try @jchny2000

caf.gif

does anyone know the meaning of the different sounds african geese make?
My "africans" are hatchery, so I am told they are crossed with brown chinese. My big fella Jerk (he isn't now that he is matured) Does sound a lot like the chinese, but he has one different noise. When he is curious, or talking to me he makes a higher pitched OYyyy sound. My hens with him are brown chinese so I can't answer that one.
Found this on you tube, its close to my fella but more shrill.

Peepers makes a nickering sound like a horse when she is very excited like when she finds dandelions to eat.
ya.gif
She also does it when I go outside and it almost sounds like she is saying hiiiiiiiii when she does it.
frow.gif

Peepers makes a nickering sound like a horse when she is very excited like when she finds dandelions to eat.
ya.gif
She also does it when I go outside and it almost sounds like she is saying hiiiiiiiii when she does it.
frow.gif
My gander says Huuuuuiii and looks at me so pleased! Its a definite happy sound, love to hear it! Usually its fermented grains that brings that comment out here. He is hatchery african, but has a different voice than chinese ganders do.

My "africans" are hatchery, so I am told they are crossed with brown chinese. My big fella Jerk (he isn't now that he is matured) Does sound a lot like the chinese, but he has one different noise. When he is curious, or talking to me he makes a higher pitched OYyyy sound. My hens with him are brown chinese so I can't answer that one.
Found this on you tube, its close to my fella but more shrill.
My hen made the loud ooyy sounds but Ganso did not.
ya.gif
frow.gif
Ganso makes the little soft horsey sound, like baby talk or something...it's so adorable. It reminds me of what our macaw used to do when he was being cute.

African goose language?
Usually if the males start honking very loud and no other noise besides a honk it's an alert honk for a predator or happy to see you and if they are tame they can make a little relief noise once they reach you.
If he isn't tame and honks at you and makes a relief sort of sound means he's territorial.
I've more Africans so I know what noises they make if they are going to fight or if they don't mind eachother.
A young male can sometimes when he close to you rustle his feathers which means he likes you ;)

But they can also rustle their feathers and is a final warning before they will attack something.

If two ganders want to fight with eachother they usually make a final warning to back off by rustling their feathers.

So a tame goose rustling his feathers is good but a goose who's not tame and rustling his feathers is not good.

Females are mostly the same everything the male does but the male just shows more ;)

Since you have an African gander you will see that he will make odd neck movements.
These are mating signs and usually they make a S shape with their neck and squirm their necks on the ground also their heads.

Young tame ganders can get very close with humans which is probably why the toulouse isn't hanging around with him.
This bond will break a bit since there's now a female so give him time ;)

Last edited:
I feel like mine answer me! Like they talk back to me. Seriously, Everytime I say ANYTHING,they have to make a noise back😍
My two boys know when I am on the phone to someone because as soon as I answer it there is a cacophany of honking and sometimes a bit of biting. It's like they're jealous; I have to answer the phone upstairs away from them so they don't know.

Back
Top Bottom