Green goo and hatching chicks is it harmful?

SassyChic Mama

Hatching
Sep 29, 2015
All wise and educated chicken families,
I need your help NOW!! I have a hen laying on eggs. One hatched yesterday, and Lemon Drop is doing well. Another has broken it's shell and I can hear it peeping. However, there is one egg that broke or Maria (Mama) broke it and it was full of a green nasty smelling slime. Will this slime be harmful to the eggs that have not hatched? Do I wash them off? Leave them? What should I do? I also need to do something about Maria, she stinks because she was laying in the goo A bath? Just wash her up? I changed the bedding and tried my best to clean up the horrible smelling goo but it's still on many of the eggs and I'm also worried about the chick that hatched, is hatching, and the ones that have yet to hatch. Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

I'm not sure what you should do with it being so close to hatch and I don't do broodys. Has she ever hatched eggs before? Can you make a fresh nest for her, wash her with a damp washcloth and wipe the eggs down as you move them over?

She has never hatched before. We are very new to this whole raising chickens thing and she went broody a week after adopting her and I'm doing my best to research like crazy. I tried chicken jail but Ms. Maria was breaking my heart, so I found a friend with fertilized eggs. A few weeks later here we are. The green slime is nothing I expected or read about. Since my post today we had another hatch, it seems healthy but I'm trying not to bug mama and babies too much. Mama doesn't mind me touching her or the chicks. She is such a wonderful hen, black cochin. I have changed her bedding as soon as I smelled something funky. The smell, oh the smell. Gag. I have read both wash & do not wash the eggs. I'm confused and want to do the right thing for the chicks and Maria. At the moment I think I will just need to leave them because they are hatching quickly and I do not want Maria off her eggs too long. Please keep the advise coming.

We now have 5 healthy chicks out of the 11 that were under her. 3 never hatched the others were never fertilized, I'm guessing. I'm not brave enough to open and examine them. We had another green goo egg too. Ugh, the smell. I think my hen pushed it away and broke it. I'm thinking next time we need a coop cam.

We have a leghorn Betty White, that has started acting like our dog. She meets my boys at the bus stop. She also doesn't think the rule of all chickens stay in the pen applies to her, she jumps the fence right after she lays her egg. Never a dull moment.

Back
Top Bottom