Eating a Naturally Deceased Layer

keptbythemaker

Hatching
Sep 30, 2015
Hey all!
So one of my pullets escaped today (and she has JUST started laying, of course), injured herself, and sulked around for a few hours after I caught and repenned her. I found her an hour later, dead and almost stiff but still a little warm. How should I go about prepping her to eat?
Currently I just wrapped her up and out her in the fridge to drop the temperature quickly. Should I scald her to pluck? Skin? Will she go limp again or not?
TIA!

Hey all!
So one of my pullets escaped today (and she has JUST started laying, of course), injured herself, and sulked around for a few hours after I caught and repenned her. I found her an hour later, dead and almost stiff but still a little warm. How should I go about prepping her to eat?
Currently I just wrapped her up and out her in the fridge to drop the temperature quickly. Should I scald her to pluck? Skin? Will she go limp again or not?
TIA!
Did you bleed her out as best as you could?

I did not... Crying baby in one arm, dead chicken in the other...
1f601.png

I would not...

Personal preference more than anything, way I look at is if they are not alive when I start then they are not food.

We do process crippled birds, I've had a couple that got dislocated hips from the tractor rolling over them, they butcher just fine.

I would not eat any bird I found dead regardless of how long ago it died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom