Eating older quail?

fishforbrains

Songster
8 Years
Oct 4, 2015
Our out-of-touch with reality local government doesn't let people keep chickens for some bizarre reason, so we decided to go quail to get fresh eggs and meat. After making an incredible string of errors all spring and summer, I actually have a small quantity of quail, both Gambel and Courtnex. Several males ready for the table next week. I can explain all of the mistakes I made if anyone wants in order to avoid making them themselves. But for now, my question is, most sources I've looked at suggest harvesting quail for meat at 8 to 10 weeks, and they really don't taste good any older than that. Before reading this, I was assuming that we'd eat the males young but also be harvesting the females after about a year, when they slow down egg production. I also know that many people hunt adult quail and eat them, apparently with enjoyment. So it is true or not that older quail are good to eat?
Or maybe older quail have to be "hung" for a few days before becoming edible? A lot of hunters seem to "hang" their wild birds before eating them.

Theyre totally different than chickens. Id the trim the fat off a two year old quail and cook it side by side with a 2 month old quail, you wont be able to tell the difference. I eat all of my breeding stock when its replacement time and i quite enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom