Food

thirst

Hatching
Mar 14, 2015
Ok so at what point are y'all switching from the starter feed to the combination of feeds for yalls emus. This is my first time having an emu. Ours is about 6 months old. And the chicks that she was raised with are about to go out with the older girls and get layer feed.
I noticing she can eat about anything. But when is the question

I found this on the web for you.

Chicks to eight weeks old, need a 20% protein emu chick starter. Feeding a higher protein than this may cause problems with splayed legs! Feed free choice and several times per day. Chicks this age should not need more than 2 pounds per day of a good nutritionally balanced feed.

At around 8 weeks the chicks should be moved to a 20% Emu Grower and fed free choice. As they go through growth spurts, the amount they eat will vary but average out to around 2 pounds per day of a good nutritionally balanced feed. Some emu breeders move the birds to an 18% Grower feed at around 6 months. At fourteen months the birds that are not being used for breeding are sent to slaughter.
Yearling breeders (12 to 24 months) should get 16% or 18% emu maintenance feed and fed free choice.

During the "off-season" breeders are fed the same 16% emu maintenance feed as the yearlings. At the end of breeding season the emus will start to eat voraciously for about a month to 45 days. When breeding season ends varies from one hen to the next.

Hope this was helpful.

9C49Nao.jpg

Here are wild chicks. They're here right now, in the house-clearing.

se

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom