Silkie early lockdown?

What would you do if you had this situation?

• Standard 21 day plan with lock down starting on day 18

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Early lockdown on day 17

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

JecaRaven

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Hanford, California
One of my silkie eggs looks like it is trying to do an internal pip on day 16! should I start an early lockdown? both of my eggs are kinda dark, but the chick silhouettes look too small to hatch. They looks like day 13 in size. I didn't get a picture, because I use my cellphone's flashlight and another flashlight together to candle. I've ready every hatching guide possible, and most say that bantams often hatch early but don't offer any suggestions on how to optimize their hatching. What do you think I should do?

Extra info: They are the only 2 of 9 shipped eggs to get to day 16. I had two early deaths and the rest were scrambled yolks. All of the eggs had loose air cells and the two survivors' air cell didn't completely reattach until after day 7. I have them set point-side-down in chopped up egg carton and tilted 3-7 times a day. They are being incubated in a homemade forced air incubator with a water-heater thermostat, two light bulbs, three thermometers, and two hydrometers. the average temp is at 99 *F and 50% humidity. The last week because the air cells grew a little too fast during the first week at 30%.

Right before internal pip, the air cell draws down around the chick and outlines the chick. It will grow dramatically in the day before internal pip. Has this started to happen? I only hatch shipped silkie eggs, and the earliest pip I ever had was at the very end of day 19 and I usually have some hatch on day 20. I would go with standard lockdown of day 18. But stop turning them now so they can get into position. Also, I trace the aircell on day 19, usually after Draw down, so I can make sure the chick pips into the air cell. Are you laying then down flat to hatch?

Right before internal pip, the air cell draws down around the chick and outlines the chick. It will grow dramatically in the day before internal pip. Has this started to happen? I only hatch shipped silkie eggs, and the earliest pip I ever had was at the very end of day 19 and I usually have some hatch on day 20. I would go with standard lockdown of day 18. But stop turning them now so they can get into position. Also, I trace the aircell on day 19, usually after Draw down, so I can make sure the chick pips into the air cell. Are you laying then down flat to hatch?

Their air cells are weird looking but not quite saddle shaped. They have not drawn down yet as of yesterday, day 17. I have the eggs setting at a little more than a 45 degree angle in little cups with the lowest marking on the air cell upwards.

Their air cells are weird looking but not quite saddle shaped. They have not drawn down yet as of yesterday, day 17. I have the eggs setting at a little more than a 45 degree angle in little cups with the lowest marking on the air cell upwards.

Are you going to lay them down for hatch or leave them in the cartons? I would recommend to stop turning them now, to give them an extra day to get in position. Then you can up humidity tomorrow as long as the aircells are big enough. Also, it's fairly common with shipped eggs to get strange shaped air cells. It's not optimal but it happens! Just keep an eye on them anywhere from day 19-21 for pips!

8izBSuxcDr
. One egg's air cell expanded over night, so I took this picture. I'm worried about the other egg more now. It is much much less developed and its veins don't go all the way around it. It is a lot more see through. It is still moving, but I had this happen to another strong mover before it stopped moving the next candle.

8izBSuxcDr
. One egg's air cell expanded over night, so I took this picture. I'm worried about the other egg more now. It is much much less developed and its veins don't go all the way around it. It is a lot more see through. It is still moving, but I had this happen to another strong mover before it stopped moving the next candle.

for somereason BYC moble isnt working for me

Are you going to lay them down for hatch or leave them in the cartons? I would recommend to stop turning them now, to give them an extra day to get in position. Then you can up humidity tomorrow as long as the aircells are big enough. Also, it's fairly common with shipped eggs to get strange shaped air cells. It's not optimal but it happens! Just keep an eye on them anywhere from day 19-21 for pips!
I am contemplating laying them down. I have very slowly been tilting them more towards it.

I am contemplating laying them down. I have very slowly been tilting them more towards it.
I, personally only like hatching laying them down. But some people really like hatching them in cartons. I've never tried it.
for somereason BYC moble isnt working for me
Is this the egg who's air cell got bigger? It will continue to grow and then have a dramatic spurt, right before hatch! Can you get a pic of the egg you're worried about?

I, personally only like hatching laying them down. But some people really like hatching them in cartons. I've never tried it.
Is this the egg who's air cell got bigger? It will continue to grow and then have a dramatic spurt, right before hatch! Can you get a pic of the egg you're worried about
Throughout incubation they have developed at the same rate, but as of yesterday I have noticed that one egg is developing much faster and the other is rather see through with veins that seem to be receding.The embryo is still moving and kicking. Its not dead... I haven't been able to find any pictures of vein patterns like this anywhere online and I cant get a good picture with just my flashlight, so I drew it. (yeah, I know its dorky) What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom