I hate coyotes

Jesusfreak101

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a fear of them let me be honest on that i was nearly attacked by one as a child if it hadnt been for my dog i dont know what would have happened. And so now even as an adult i have a partly unreasonable fear of them. Tonight my husband runs in the house(him and grandpa just got done taking calfs to the stock yard) saying that the reason the dogs are going crazy is that they coyotes are getting closer to the house so he runs back out with his pistal and rifle. I have heard two shots so far and i am waiting in my car in case he needs me with my gun. My two year old is watching cartoons in the back seat. I know my husband a great shot and a smart man but **** it i cant help being scared some one anyone help calm me down please!!!(i also made sure then hens are up in the coop)

Hey there jesusfreak101 I am not sure I would be of any assistance … coyotes? guns? .. a whole different world to suburban Aus!

“In case he needs me with my gun” .. I have never seen a gun up close, let alone touch one.

I am not sure about calming you down but compared to my life, you are being strong!

A little fear is a good thing, it keeps you cautious
wink.png

Calm down Jesusfreak, you've got this! Or more accurately...Jesus has got this.
I hate coyotes too. They wiped out my flock once. I've got a gun ready to aim at the coyotes if they get too close...and they do. We haven't got any yet, but we're waiting for the ultimate time.
Good luck. Your dog sounds amazing, mine would run and hide
lau.gif

The joys of country life come with the horrors...and those horrors are named coyotes.
Keep us updated. We're fighting the battle of the coyotes too. Always glad to talk to someone dealing with the same terrible thing :-D

Thank teila i never would have thought about that as strength lol i was pretty scared i hate those things i know they are important to the enviorment but with a baby and knowing that they dont mind attacking humans i didnt like him facing them alone. We hear them often during the day and they are a few miles away. And they dont freak me out when they far away its when they come on the property they freak me out.

Meant to ad that it's not an unreasonable fear. I'm terrified of the things. With no reason. I've never almost been attacked. I came within a few yards of one once though...it was scared and ran off. Hopefully nothing like that'll happen again...I was a kid and thought it was the neighbours dog
lau.gif
They don't have a dog...especially not one that looks EXACTLY like a coyote...Now I know better and would be terrified. Those things can smell fear...stay strong
wink.png

Thank madampoofybrow and you are right Jesus does have this. My husband and i are back at the house. It was a lone coyote which is never a good thing (means they either are sick or the got kicked out of the pack and now are starving) he said that the coyote wasnt acting right so quite possible was sick which is not a good thing either. Lol yeah i am proud of them i have always had medium to large dogs these are large. I had a dog named daizy golden retriever mix that i was walking i was about five/six at the time and a coyote came up and began to growl at me completely ignoring my dog so i let her off the lease she chased him off twice and fought him. I since have always had dogs after that.

Teila i have a gun mostly for snakes its a hand gun. I have a shot gun that i just target practice with and i have used my husband rifle for the same thing. I had to use my pistal a total of three times. Once when our husky(got rid of for agressive issues before this) he was chasing the cows down a stretch of fence that is narrow and my husband was in the way of the stampeding herd i fire a warning shot in the ground at the dogs feet trying to get him to stop. Luckly it worked and my husband was able to get out of the way in the nick of time. Second time was for a cat attacking (big make stay tom cat) my smaller fixed male cat and tearing him up(had a vet visit the next morning) i shot at the cat an nicked his ear. Third time was when a feral cat tried to steal one of my hens. I am not big on killing an animal (i cry over roaches if i spray them with poison last time was at my parents house). I much whether give a warning shot the actually kill the animal. But if i am in mommy rage or have to protect i will. I killed a baby rattle snake with one of our big hunting knifes when it came in the yard. My cat killed the seconded baby rattle snake. I taught my two year old that snakes are bad and to come get me if she sees one luckly she hasnt seen one expect for the time i showed her a plain snake the chickens were trying to eat and she was afraid of that. Its been so hot and the fact our cats sleep with the hens i have let them sleep outside of the coop on my husband box trailer but thats going to change now that we might have a coyote problem.

Hey Jesusfreak101 .. wow … the biggest threat to my flock is overweight, well fed neighbourhood cats or a neighbourhood dog who may have escaped his yard!

Granted, we have snakes and goannas but I have not seen either in the 6 years we have lived at this house. We get Hawks but again, I have never seen one here.

Like you, I am not big on killing things either, including the poisonous, introduced [non native] cane toads and while others are happy to hit them with golf clubs etc, I leave them be. Having said that, again, like you, I fear for anything that threatens my family, including the feathered and furry; mess with them and your future is not looking good.

So, while you may not have thought of yourself as strong, in the scheme of things and compared to others, you are and you are doing a great job of raising your family and looking after those critters in your care and you are allowed to be scared just do not let your competition know
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom