So! Many! Mites!

hattie13

Chirping
Oct 7, 2015
Help! I have read through about 300 sites on mites and every suggestion contradicts the last - here's my issue. Last week, I noticed mites. Not on my birds, in the coop. On the walls. Crawling with the little ********. When collecting eggs, I came out covered. I began complete sterilization - pulling all of the hay from the nesting boxes, and removing all the shavings from the floor. I vacuumed everything, walls, ceiling and floors, sprayed the entire coop from floor to ceiling with Poultry Protector spray, waited for that to dry and then put down a layer of diotamaceous earth, new shavings and new hay with DE in the nesting boxes. So far, I have not seen any signs of infestation on the birds themselves, but last night when I went to collect eggs, I had two or three on me. So, while I'm seeing less, I am still infected and getting seriously skeeved out by the creepy crawlies. So, is there anything I can do that I haven't done? I've seen Sevin Dust being suggested but this is a scary-*** chemical and I would prefer to not nuke my birds. If this is the only sure shot to kill these blood suckers however, I'm coming around to it. Please help, the ladies and I are in dire need of assistance!

Switch to sand bedding, mites will like it much less then hay or wood chips. Put a couple inches on the floor, in the nesting boxes, every space were your birds could be walking on. Make SURE that they are not on your birds. Other then that.. I dunno, you have tried almost everything needed.

I would repeat your treatment every 7 days for a few weeks.
Probably should dust the birds too....if they are the type of mites that feed in avian blood.
Would be good to positively ID the mites....hard to do without a microscope.

Back
Top Bottom