What type of chicken lays this egg?

shannonleighn

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Currituck County, NC
HI there. We have a total of 16 chickens. We are currently getting 9 eggs a day. We know with certainty 8 chickens that are laying.

3 Ameracaunas are laying
2 ISA Browns are laying
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Barred Plymouth Rock
1 Silver Laced Wynadotte

So we are trying to determine which other chicken is laying and also figure out who laid a sort of speckled egg (pictured below)

Our 2 Lavender Orpingtons are too young and are not yet laying, same as our 1 Gold Brabanter. We have 1 Ameracauna Rooster as well. So those 4 are out.

The remaining chickens are:
1 Barred Plymouth Rock
1 Buff Orpington
1 Silver Laced Wynadotte
1 Gold Laced Wynadotte

Anyone have any ideas on which chicken is laying the speckled egg?

Likely the ISA brown. The speckling you are seeing looks to be in the bloom coating on the egg. If you wash the egg, does the speckling come off? It looks similar in shape to the other darker eggs in your picture, so it looks to be the same pullet laying all of those, this one just had a heavier bloom.

It does not come off when washing, and I am fairly certain it is not the ISA Browns because they lay first thing in the morning when I go to open the coop up-- both are side by side in the nesting boxes, and I get their eggs first, before any others are laid. Their eggs are the largest of the bunch, with our older ISA Brown regularly producing double yolks.

welcome-byc.gif

I've had similar eggs from my Wyandotte mixes, but I'm not sure if it's a breed specific thing or just a glitch from hen to hen...

Back
Top Bottom