Sad silky!

samsim

Hatching
Oct 8, 2015
Hi I have a silky I have introduce to our coop along with 2 other silkys and 5 isa brown. I already have 2 others that remained from a revolting fox attack!
1f621.png
All is going well in the coop and apart from a little who's the boss attitude all are settling well, except for the one silky. It is quiet, has stopped coming out of the coop when it's open and just hangs its head with its eyes closed. I have brought it inside and am getting her to drink etc but unless I encourage her she just stands there somewhat listless. It's not looking good for her. Any suggestions?

I am sure another member with more experience may be able to help with a diagnosis, but isolate her, and put vitamin supplements / electrolytes in her water.

Good luck
CT

Have you noticed if the other birds are bullying her, and keeping her from eating and drinking. That may be one reason she stays in the coop. Have you examined her to see if she has mites or lice, or is very thin - maybe from not eating enough etc. Chickens have a pecking order and can be brutal about enforcing it. They also love to bully new birds.

Generally new birds should be added to the flock with a gradual integration of look but, don't touch. If you feel she is ill it would be best to separate her from the flock, in case she has something contagious.

Not much better. Discovered lice which they obviously had when I brought them. One of the other Dolly's were dead when I went out this morning. My sick one was given a vitamin injection by the vet and I have coated them both in dusting powder. I doubt she will make it through the night though
1f61e.png

Back
Top Bottom