Calming a single chick

GreenRunner

Chirping
Jun 28, 2015
London
The past few weeks I've been doing an incubator hatch of Ayam Cemani's. I got six eggs (unfortunately they had to be shipped). Five were fertile, day 21 was yesterday and I now have one very agitated chick with no signs of any more hatching. I'm quite disappointed...I was hoping for at least 2/3 - the temperature was fine and though the humidity was a little problematic, it was far more stable than ever before.

Is there anything I can do to calm this chick down? It's calling so much that I fear it's stressing itself out. I hate to be raising it alone. :(

You do have a problem. The chick has a deep instinct for the warmth and closeness and being able to snuggle against other warm chicks, as well as underneath a feathery broody hen.

Try a heating pad with some soft velour fabric scraps bunched up for the chick to crawl into and snuggle.

You may also have to encourage the chick to eat and drink because they pick up those cues from other chicks and are encouraged by other chicks eating and drinking.

I would also get some Poultry Nutri-drench and make a "tea" of it in order to boost the chick's health in the even it's slow to want to eat.

Thanks for the advice. I'm searching online at the moment to see if there's anyone near me with day-old chicks. Of course, none of my hens are broody at the moment either so I can't try that.

My desk is next to the brooder so I've had the little one in my jumper and have been 'pecking' at the food with it to encourage eating - which it's doing. Here's hoping it'll be okay.

Back
Top Bottom