Please help. My duck wont eat.

duckyluvme1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
So I noticed maybe Thursday that my ducks wing was down and I looked at it and there was a puncture wound. I cleaned it and everything. It seems to be healing but he just won't eat. He drinks but refuses to eat. I don't know what to do. Last night his poop was this bright green poop. He usually has green poop from eating the grass but this was a stronger brighter green. I tried force feeding him last night but I don't think its enough. I thought if his wound is healing he would be feeling better? I mean he is acting a little bit better then he was. But he's still not eating. Can anyone tell me what I can do? Taking him to the vet is a last option right now. Is there any mash or any drinks I could give him to bring up his nutrients?

I am not near my computer. Try to reach Miss Lydia or casportpony or Orca5094.

There may be systemic infection and that would need oral antibiotics and possibly tube feeding but in the meantime just put vitamns and electrolytes in the water along with perhaps a tiny bit of oatmeal.

PM the people I mentioned, please.

I messaged the users you mentioned. And is there any antibiotics I could get for him at the feed store or something? And thank you I appreciate your help!

I messaged the users you mentioned. And is there any antibiotics I could get for him at the feed store or something? And thank you I appreciate your help!

@duckyluvme1 do you think infection is setting in where he is injured? maybe @casportpony can help with which antibiotic would be best, usually in feed stores they are limited to Penicillin and OxyTetracycline not sure which would be best here.

@duckyluvme1 do you think infection is setting in where he is injured? maybe @casportpony can help with which antibiotic would be best, usually in feed stores they are limited to Penicillin and OxyTetracycline not sure which would be best here.
You say a bite wound do you think snake or other pred?

I'm not sure what it was. It could have been a snake or even one of the neighbors cats got into their cage somehow. And thanks for the help!! I appreciate it.

I'm not sure what it was. It could have been a snake or even one of the neighbors cats got into their cage somehow. And thanks for the help!! I appreciate it.

@duckyluvme1 How is your duck today? I see @casportpony didn't respond to this about the antibiotic . Let us know how he is doing, and please secure any places where you think this predator got in. it will be back.

If you go to casportpony profile you should find a link to a thread she started about medication and dosages, or do a search for it. She may have the information your looking for there.
If you an isolate your duck, make a soup out of its food.... Basically more water than food and put a regular bowl of food next to it. I use a crate for my ducks when I have to do this. Bathtub works too. I also use electrolyte water to make the soup. You can get packets of electrolyte mix at most feed stores.

So I noticed maybe Thursday that my ducks wing was down and I looked at it and there was a puncture wound. I cleaned it and everything. It seems to be healing but he just won't eat. He drinks but refuses to eat. I don't know what to do. Last night his poop was this bright green poop. He usually has green poop from eating the grass but this was a stronger brighter green. I tried force feeding him last night but I don't think its enough. I thought if his wound is healing he would be feeling better? I mean he is acting a little bit better then he was. But he's still not eating. Can anyone tell me what I can do? Taking him to the vet is a last option right now. Is there any mash or any drinks I could give him to bring up his nutrients?

Can you provide the duckling picture ?

If he's not drinking or eating he needs to be tube fed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Read that thread, the threads in it and watch the videos. If you can get the tube, syringe and food, I can teach you here or on the phone.

Do you have any amoxicillin?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom