House pet Cayuga has strage personality changes

notIvy431

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
When my house pet Cayuga laid her first real egg, i let her sit on it a bit, but when took it out she would have nothign to do with me for weeks and would quack loudly. Now she laid 8 eggs, and has a straw nest that covers herslef up. I did not take them away this time, but when I enter her room she goes completly nut job on me quacking and does not want to be petted like she always does and insiists on her treats, Cheerios, and that is all she wants, quacking crazily. What to do?

It sounds like she might be broody and is trying to hatch the eggs. Is she sitting on them all day and night? Broody ducks often make a fuss when you mess with them. But if the eggs are infertile, you'll have to remove them. She won't be happy, but she should forget about it within a few days.

Somebody's broody!
lol.png

I let my broodies sit, however - I check their body condition, I give them treats, just try to make sure they eat to keep up their weight, and when they make the occasional run off the nest to make a broody poop (P. U.) I quickly check the eggs - if any begin to smell slightly off, I remove them.

It generally runs its course in 4 to 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom