How to tell if a chick is a cockerel

chriscruz

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi! This is my second post, new to the site: We have been getting our chicks from a local feed store for years and always lucked out with all girls. This time we bought two Cuckoo Marans and two New Jersey Giants who are now 8 weeks old, and one of the Marans is exhibiting signs of maleness. for the past two weeks he/she has been trying to crow, weak at first, then louder each day. His/her comb and wattle are bigger than the other chicks. Behavior is interesting in that he/she picks on the others a little more agressively than the others, but also one other chick picks on him/her more often than the others.

My question is when can I know that he/she is a rooster, and then, since we can't keep a rooster, what is the best way of giving him away to a good home? The few people I have asked who have chickens on farms don't want another rooster. Any help is appreciated!

Hi! This is my second post, new to the site: We have been getting our chicks from a local feed store for years and always lucked out with all girls. This time we bought two Cuckoo Marans and two New Jersey Giants who are now 8 weeks old, and one of the Marans is exhibiting signs of maleness. for the past two weeks he/she has been trying to crow, weak at first, then louder each day. His/her comb and wattle are bigger than the other chicks. Behavior is interesting in that he/she picks on the others a little more agressively than the others, but also one other chick picks on him/her more often than the others.

My question is when can I know that he/she is a rooster, and then, since we can't keep a rooster, what is the best way of giving him away to a good home? The few people I have asked who have chickens on farms don't want another rooster. Any help is appreciated!
It seems like you indeed have a cockerel. Can you post a pic to be sure?

If the comb is already red and crowing attempts have begun already, then you very likely have a cockerel. If you want to be sure post a picture and we can help.

Chances are, if he's crowing, his comb and wattles are bigger, etc then he's a rooster. My rooster started trying to crow at a little over 8wks, and he was bigger than the girls by that point (not much, but definitely thicker, thicker legs, and a little taller). I CAN keep him (I live in the country, outside of city limits, so there are no ordinances or laws saying I can't, and my neighbors love him too), so he's sticking around for now. Looking back though, I could tell earlier if I would have known what to look for.

No advice on finding him a home since I'm keeping my guy. When I get another batch of chicks or hatch eggs then I'll have to rehome because I only want a max of 1 rooster.

Thanks for all the advice. Here are two photos from today, he (probably) is 8 1/2 weeks old - Cuckoo Marans. Being new, I think I should have posted on What breed/sex is this Forum instead of this one. Will switch to there next. Would love to hear your verdict!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom