Feed?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
I know that title was really not specific but I didn't know what to title it.

I was on Amazon buying a scale amd heating pad (scale for me since I've been eating a lot of junk a few months and am now overweight, heating pad for the birds since I'm trying the mama heating pad thing) and decided to type "feed" in just for fun, thinking there wouldn't be anything. Well, at first it was all books but once I hit "pet supplies" there's actually quite a few. Even horse feed. However, it wasn't big name stuff but I almost think maybe it's better?

There's a lot and different varieties in all the brands but the ones I seemed to notice most are Kalmbach, Coyote Creek, Hiland Naturals and then also H and H Feed, Scratch and Peck Feeds, Nature's Best, etc.

H and H and Scratch and Peck seemed a little weird from the pics (haven't checked the website) but the others, after initial hesitation and review of the websites, actually seem pretty good. I'm still going through Amazon so may discover more. But these seem not so bad?

I think our feed store carries Nature's Best.

The only other food I've heard of is the Purina and one other big name one but I'm wondering if something like these local ones (Well, not local to me :p ha) from Amazon or other online or local retailers may be better and healthier? Hiland especially seems to have a great price for the organic one. It's funny too though because it seems most feed is between $30-$40 or $50 for like 40 pounds (sometimes 30 or 50) and even if it was closer to $60 or $70 it would still be cheaper than good dog food lol

I don't buy into the $70 or even close to $100 bags of dog food but I have switched to better brands since June (used to be on like every food possible including Purina) and it's usually around $40-$60, usually closer to $50, for like 25 or 27 pounds, lmao it's usually 27 but one brand it's not. Thankfully for such a huge dog he hardly eats anything.

But anyway, back to chicken feed, my point is I'd like to find the best food to keep them healthy and the best price and if that means buying it online then okay. BUT. I also do not mind paying a little more because like I said, the dog food is way less value for the dollar.

I know I rambled a lot and went off topic and I'm sorry but basically my.point is have you heard of those brands or others, are they good, do you think i should get them here or elsewhere?

Also I know a lot of people have had great success with Purina and maybe their livestock feeds are good or it doesn't matter but I don't think I want to go with them if possible. I don't even think our feed store even carries them. Initially I was thinking I may go with them because it seems everybody does but now I've been thinking and have realized... I wouldn't feed it to my dog or my cat and likely wouldn't even touch it with a 10 foot pole so why would I feed it to my chickens? Again, I'm not bashing it and I know a ton of people have perfectly healthy flocks on it, but in my personal opinion I wouldn't touch it. I'm actually upset they bought Merrick (dog food and cat food too) over the summer. I'm hoping the ingredients and sourcing don't change. I don't have anyone on it now and haven't since the summer but I do sometimes feed it (I have my dog on a rotation diet)

Anyway, I will come back with links

Are you looking to feed soy free? Organic? Products with more animal protein? I guess I don't know what your trying to accomplish.

Unless you say what your looking for you'll get a plethora of responses.

Let's say you want a good feed that is soy free- Agway makes Hearty Hen. That's one example of a non overpriced feed that would accomplish a persons desire not to feed soy. You'd have to be more specific in goal to get answers and opinions to that aim.

I purchase a quality feed in my opinion that is from a local mill so fresh and has the higher protein I desire. It happens to be under $13 a 50lbs bag too. Main ingredient corn meal, contains soymeal and no animal protein. Healthy birds which works for me.

Are you looking to feed soy free? Organic? Products with more animal protein? I guess I don't know what your trying to accomplish.

Unless you say what your looking for you'll get a plethora of responses.

Let's say you want a good feed that is soy free- Agway makes Hearty Hen. That's one example of a non overpriced feed that would accomplish a persons desire not to feed soy. You'd have to be more specific in goal to get answers and opinions to that aim.

I purchase a quality feed in my opinion that is from a local mill so fresh and has the higher protein I desire. It happens to be under $13 a 50lbs bag too. Main ingredient corn meal, contains soymeal and no animal protein. Healthy birds which works for me.

oh yeah, sorry, kind of just went on a tangent and forgot to mention any specific info.. Whoops..

To be honest though, I really don't know too much about food or what I want yet. I recently acquired some books on chickens/chicken raising so I'm trying to read those but haven't gotten to the feed part yet.

I really haven't considered any specifics though, which I know is probably no help.

I'm pretty sure I want organic but mostly because I've heard it's better and better for if you're eating the eggs or something but I don't know if that's true.

As for protein I was just going to go off the recommended percentages, I don't need any special ones or anything.

I really don't know anything about soy or animal proteins or what sorts of things are good for them or not good or preferred or anything. Or even what's bad. I really don't know many specifics.

I know in carnivores animal protein sources are obviously preferred but maybe plant based is preferred for chickens?

I am getting 9 chicks in less than 2 weeks from Meyer. They're all going to be (hopefully) female laying breeds if that makes a differences.

I use star milling for lay feed and kruse for chick start
I dont feed organic or I wont make any money
And I don't think organic makes the eggs any better. I recommend just feeding what's available at your feed store and study as much as you can about chicken nutrition then start going through all the feeds in your area and
Picking the best one for you

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into those and see what's available at my feed store. :) we do actually have a TSC but it's at least 30 mins away, I'd probably go with the local feed store. We know the manager anyway.

That's interesting about the organic thing, if it doesn't make a difference than i may as well go with what's cheaper. I thought they argued it was safer but i eat plenty of.disgusting store eggs lol and i may be mixed up with medicated feed anyway

Really it's a matter of opinion but people do have very strong feelings about organic or non GMO feeds. If your marketing eggs/meat and in a healthy living conscious area then the higher prices you'd sell for would compensate the higher costs of feed. If neither of those things matter to you personally and your not attempting to market then in reality there are no scientific studies to support organic or non GMO raised birds effect quality of eggs and meat.

Don't be limited by chicken labeling at your local feed store either. For an all flock type feed in pellet form that doesn't have layer quantity calcium I use a Turkey Finisher, comes in 20% protein. This is what everyone is on when the youngest birds hit 12 weeks or so. Actually getting a list of all poultry feeds they offer- pheasent, turkey etc. you'll have much to choose from and can go online to look at it's list of ingredients or nutritional analysis at least then choose.

I am getting 9 chicks in less than 2 weeks from Meyer. They're all going to be (hopefully) female laying breeds if that makes a differences.

When you get them feed a chick starter.

After three months I would start to feed them 18-20% grower feed.

Once they get past 5-6 months or longer they should start to lay eggs. When they start to lay you could feed an 18% grower feed with oyster shells on the side or a layer feed.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the info guys! I don't really care so much about GMO because I know it's all just hype and it's just changing the genes to make them more disease resistant and stuff which i think is good. But I can definitely understand organic because the pesticides and all that is definitely bad but I'm nit entirely convinced it's such a direct correlation. I mean, the chickens absorb the feed nit necessarily pass it.

That's a good idea about feeding other poultry feed too though, I never thought of that before haha

As for chick feed, oh yeah, I'd definitely start with chick starter but I feel like there's less options with that or no?
So grower feed is necessary? Some brands it seems don't have grower?

And is layer only when they start laying or as they get older?

Also as for the oyster shells, are they necessary? Because I read on one feed and it said to not feed any other grains or oyster with it.

Back
Top Bottom