Can quail eat pumpkins?

I know chickens can. I would think that quail, being omnivorous birds, could eat pumpkin, too. Still, I'd wait for a quail expert to come by before giving your quail any pumpkin, just to be safe.

Thanks I read that chickens could and it acts as a dewormer. Someone on that thread said they gave pumpkin to their chickens quail and pheasants I just want to know for sure

Well... Others ideas may vary but....

We are doing our yearly pumpkin week (I don't bother to plant pumpkin in our garden because it takes up to much room....) Local stores give me all I want the day after Halloween... Wife cuts them in half. puts each half scrapes out the seeds (later to roast) in oven face down in a cake pan @350 for an Hr or so till the P is soft... then lets um cool on the counter... They peal easy! (My birds love the peals) then she cuts up the pulp and cans, dehydrates and powders, makes Pumpkin jerky, freezes, and some chunk canning... Cut back this year... we got only 23 big P's only 4 left to do... She uses the frozen pulp for pies, breads, puddings, in smoothies, Adds it to soups, even puts some of the chunks on the grill... Good stuff!

I have been taking fist size cooked chunks out to the birds... and kind of mash them up in the cages... They Love IT.... think its Candy! eat every little bit that does not fall through the wire. They have been eating lots every day for a week now...

0.jpg

Pumpkin is a great treat for Coturnix Quail. Inexpensive and readily available. A good supplement to any feeding regiment. The Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail had no issue diving right in. The Texas A & M Coturnix Quail didn't take to it as much, at least the ones we have didn't. That may change over time.

-PCK

Back
Top Bottom