Creative coyote deterrents?

avocadoeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Hi all,
I live in Northern IL and have a small (6) flock in my residential backyard. We have always had coyotes around on some of the more open land that surrounds us, but lately they have been running circles around my coop/run and scaring the chickens. The chickens are fully enclosed in hardware wire which is aproned and buried, so I'm not actually concerned about the coyotes getting in. The coyotes do have a taste for chicken due to a farm nearby that has a free range flock.
However, two coyotes are visiting my yard 4-5 times during the day (I only ever see them between 10am-4pm) and are less and less deterred when I go out to yell at them. Yesterday they approached when I was out in the yard already. We cannot shoot, can't electrical fence, I don't want my herding dogs chasing them for fear a fight would be a costly vet bill...so, I'm looking for anyone who has creative, legal ideas for doing something to scare the coyotes further.

I should mention, I feel the need to do something because I have small children to protect, and my flock has a few minor injuries from bumping into things as they are chased around. I have added a tarp to one wall of the run to help them/make them less accessible.

Thanks in advance!

Hot wire is the best...why can't you use it?
Have you tried contacting DNR about the issue?

Is your run on the property line?
Maybe privacy fencing to block view?
Scare Crow brand motion triggered water jet?

Last edited:
, I don't want my herding dogs chasing

I have small children to protect,

Hot wire is the best...why can't you use it?
Have you tried contacting DNR about the issue?

Is your run on the property line?
Maybe privacy fencing to block view?
Scare Crow brand motion triggered water jet?

I'm guessing these could be potential reasons for no electric fencing.

a pellet gun or bb gun could be great. Paint ball gun would work too.

Last edited:
I am concerned about the kids and dogs, although I haven't looked too deeply into using hotwire, as I imagined it probably isn't permitted in a residential neighborhood but I could be wrong. Our lot is about a half acre, but perhaps if it is allowed I could run it only around our coop area via an extension cord? The coop is about 20 feet from lot lines.

I may call the county or DNR if they approach me or my family when we are out in the yard again. For today, I'm armed with disc golf frisbees and a rested yelling voice. I was just hoping that this hazing would get less involved over time rather than the coyotes seeming to become used to me.

Last edited:
I am concerned about the kids and dogs, although I haven't looked too deeply into using hotwire, as I imagined it probably isn't permitted in a residential neighborhood but I could be wrong. Our lot is about a half acre, but perhaps if it is allowed I could run it only around our coop area via an extension cord? The coop is about 20 feet from lot lines.

I may call the county or DNR if they approach me or my family when we are out in the yard again. For today, I'm armed with disc golf frisbees and a rested yelling voice. I was just hoping that this hazing would get less involved over time rather than the coyotes seeming to become used to me.
I wouldn't hesitate to call and report the coyotes behavior for the record, they are after all harassing your birds even tho they haven't eaten one.....
....and they may be aware of the problem and have some solutions/ info for you.

I would look into rules concerning electric fence. They're a good deterrent. Kids and dogs learn real quick to avoid it. If your kids are very young, you can always unplug the fence when they are out playing, but I'm not sure I'd even let my small children out to play if the coyotes are that brazen. Calling animal control or DNR to report the behavior is also a good plan. I wouldn't mess with a BB gun. Unless you're closer than would be comfortable in the first place, it wouldn't penetrate the pelt enough to phase them anyway.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I live in Northern IL and have a small (6) flock in my residential backyard. We have always had coyotes around on some of the more open land that surrounds us, but lately they have been running circles around my coop/run and scaring the chickens. The chickens are fully enclosed in hardware wire which is aproned and buried, so I'm not actually concerned about the coyotes getting in. The coyotes do have a taste for chicken due to a farm nearby that has a free range flock.
However, two coyotes are visiting my yard 4-5 times during the day (I only ever see them between 10am-4pm) and are less and less deterred when I go out to yell at them. Yesterday they approached when I was out in the yard already. We cannot shoot, can't electrical fence, I don't want my herding dogs chasing them for fear a fight would be a costly vet bill...so, I'm looking for anyone who has creative, legal ideas for doing something to scare the coyotes further.

I should mention, I feel the need to do something because I have small children to protect, and my flock has a few minor injuries from bumping into things as they are chased around. I have added a tarp to one wall of the run to help them/make them less accessible.

Thanks in advance!

Coyotes are quick learners. So any action that lets the coyote stay among the quick and living will sooner or later result in a coyote with a PhD in chicken killing. If this is not what you were wanting to hear I am sorry, but maybe it is better to hear it now than to loose your chickens.

Coyotes are quick learners. So any action that lets the coyote stay among the quick and living will sooner or later result in a coyote with a PhD in chicken killing. If this is not what you were wanting to hear I am sorry, but maybe it is better to hear it now than to loose your chickens.
Sounds like the OP is in a residential area, so shooting the dog may not be an option. I agree, though, that these coyotes need to be eliminated. They could become dangerous real quick.

Back
Top Bottom