Doing Fecal Floats at Home

Pics

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I made the plunge... and invested less than $300 for all I need to do my own testing at home. My vet is awesome and is very reasonable on her pricing, only $16 per exam, but now I can do my own testing without having to drive 25 miles and I can afford to do each pen independently. I have assisted in many exams so I feel pretty assured that this is going to be pretty easy, and if I do need to I can still run one in that I am unsure of.

The bible reference book is the Veterinary Parasitology fifth edition by William J. Foreyt. I also found a good article by a Dr. at K State that was a good read.

I did make on mistake when buying my microscope, I did not buy a high enough magnification. You need at least an 80 power to 100 power scope, I bought only 60X and I can only see worm eggs. Cocci takes at least 80X so a new one is on the way. AM Scope has a really nice Vet Lab unit on sale (50%) off right now that I am planning to order this week for $277.

Again, if you like videos, Youtube has lots of them and different methods you can try.

The bible reference book is the Veterinary Parasitology fifth edition by William J. Foreyt. I also found a good article by a Dr. at K State that was a good read.

I did make on mistake when buying my microscope, I did not buy a high enough magnification. You need at least an 80 power to 100 power scope, I bought only 60X and I can only see worm eggs. Cocci takes at least 80X so a new one is on the way. AM Scope has a really nice Vet Lab unit on sale (50%) off right now that I am planning to order this week for $277.

Again, if you like videos, Youtube has lots of them and different methods you can try.
New scope, how exciting! Which one are you getting?
pop.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom