Resting post slaughter, must it be whole or can it be in pieces?

chrisngo73

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2015
Hi, I have just processed my first Muscovy drakes. It didnt go as planned; the killing, the water bath, the plucker and the sun was setting quick so I ended up skinning them all. I cut them into breast, legs and carcass, wash and pack them indivdually into freezer bags, and let rest in the fridge for 24 hours before moving them in to the freezer. We pan fried a leg and it was really tough; really tasty but gosh it was tough hahaha. So my question is must the resting take place as a "whole" duck or can it still be classified as "resting' if it's in pieces? And would it still be "resting' if I vacuum pack them (for future reference)

I'm not totally convinced on the issue of resting. I know that it makes sense in theory, but i have not really reaped the rewards in terms of softer meat. I just make stews in a slow cooker with mine.

CT

It doesn't matter if it is in pieces or whole. I believe it needs oxygen to break down properly, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It should be in the fridge at least 3-4 days before freezing. Pan frying is probably only good if they are 10-12 weeks old max at time of processing. Oven or crockpot low and slow. That's my experience so far. Good luck. :)

It doesn't matter if it is in pieces or whole. I believe it needs oxygen to break down properly, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It should be in the fridge at least 3-4 days before freezing. Pan frying is probably only good if they are 10-12 weeks old max at time of processing. Oven or crockpot low and slow. That's my experience so far. Good luck.
smile.png

Thank you, will try that next time. We did a leg on slow cooker last night and the meat just fell apart; soooo good! :)

I did my last cockerels in pieces, let them hang out in the refrigerator for 3ish days then cooked. Wonderful.

Ideally, if it is whole there is less drying out and less surface area to be contaminated with bacteria that are not beneficial to the aging process, but since it has been skinned anyway, it really doesn't matter. If you vacuum seal, that is going to slow down the aging process, and as aging progresses their will be gas that defeats your vacuum. I go 14 days on wild waterfowl sometimes before achieving tenderness from aging. Three or four days is just enough for it to get started, which is all that is needed for most sub-adult poultry.

To answer a question not yet asked: Time after defrosting will count towards the "resting" period. you just have to plan well enough to take them out 3 days before you want to cook them.
[ or, just low and slow, or pressure cook]

Back
Top Bottom